Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine go out on my driveway and roll to the stone part I dont want things growing anyhow. I used to dump my 30gal right out the door but it rolled in the garden and killed my plants after a few times so I stopped that. I have dumped a ton into the lawn to and the crab grass keeps growing lol.

pcardone

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do all the above, i put a large amount in the pond the Koi like the brackish water and it helps fight infections, pest. If your worried about your pipes just run some fresh water down after.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The average family certainly produces more salt in their urine than you are dumping from your tank. I wouldn't worry about it.

I also have dumped saltwater on the lawn without it hurting the grass, but that might be different in places that receive less rain and the salt sits on the grass for longer.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy the PVC and fire issue. So maybe we should insist on using bare wirings to make it less harmful during a fire due to the plastic in the wiring insulator?

Anyway, down the drain if you have muni septic. Check your septic if you have a sept tank, but unless your fish tank is almost as big as your septic tank, there should be no concern... I don't know septic, so you may want someone with a certification there. As for the lawn, it is a bad idea, particularly if your grass got 99.5% of the water from sprinkler and you only turn it on once a week, like around here. If you are putting salt on your driveway to melt the ice on winter, then pour it on it will certainly save you a few dollar in rock salt.

For me, I use it for cooking. Never buy any soy sauce since 1996 when I started the hobby.... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new system WC water will be going into the swimming pool- its salt clorinated anyway.

The system is too big to pump into the sewer system (Its illegal here anyhow, and also, I dont know how much is pumped out at sea untreated.) I cant dump it in the stormwater system because of the risk of alien introduction (the stormwater travels a whole 500 feet and then straight into the ocean here) I cant pump that quantity of salt onto my lawn either- its sure to contaminate the soil and kill the grass.

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
andy37":1umx0oh3 said:
My new system WC water will be going into the swimming pool- its salt clorinated anyway.

The system is too big to pump into the sewer system (Its illegal here anyhow, and also, I dont know how much is pumped out at sea untreated.) I cant dump it in the stormwater system because of the risk of alien introduction (the stormwater travels a whole 500 feet and then straight into the ocean here) I cant pump that quantity of salt onto my lawn either- its sure to contaminate the soil and kill the grass.
maybe you could build a small leeching field in your backyard. Small hole with aggregate.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":36oigycu said:
andy37":36oigycu said:

maybe you could build a small leeching field in your backyard. Small hole with aggregate.

Living on the edge of a 300 ft sandbank with a 60 degree slope means that I have to avoid as much water on site as possible. I dont have the ability to safely do that unfortunately, unless I want a closer view of the sea... :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
andy37":1w12jz25 said:

I'm not sure I'd want to swim in your pool.

Remember, the skimmer does not remove all the nasties.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":3g9wcpph said:
I'm not sure I'd want to swim in your pool.

Remember, the skimmer does not remove all the nasties.

Louey

The chlorine and other chemicals will solve all those nasties fine thanks..... Louey, I'm sure you will swim happily when you get out here.... :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I live close to the ocean, and don't know how much of my waterchange water could make it into the ocean, I bleach it before I dump it down the toilet. I figure $1 of bleach is better than releasing anything nasty.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":3e4ipjit said:
Since I live close to the ocean, and don't know how much of my waterchange water could make it into the ocean, I bleach it before I dump it down the toilet. I figure $1 of bleach is better than releasing anything nasty.

B
If ANY of your toilet water is going directly into the ocean without serious processing at a water treatment plant, potential stuff from your tank going into the oceans would not be what I would be concerned about!~

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sfsuphysics":m55v1hlf said:
Bingo":m55v1hlf said:

B
If ANY of your toilet water is going directly into the ocean without serious processing at a water treatment plant, potential stuff from your tank going into the oceans would not be what I would be concerned about!~

You would be amazed about how many places simply pump raw, untreated sewage out to sea. It was a while ago, but the list of 1st world cities doing it in the 80's was used to justify proposals here to copy them, sadly those proposals were successful. I dont know what proportion of the daily harvest is treated in this manner, but I would guess a lot. 8O :?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know in SF the water leaving the sewage treatment plant claims to be cleaner than water in nature (or something to that effect)... however when it rains really hard the place does overflow, over the great highway, down ocean beach, and right into the Pacific. I've known more than one person who's gotten sick just by going in the water shortly after a rain storm to surf... they learn a bit after that first experience (and they realize what happened)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are fortunate. Ours is pumped untreated 15kms out to sea. I havent heard of anyone having negative effects yet, but then a bigger problem is the run-off from our rural/informal populations when it rains, there are invariably no sanitation facilities in that environment. (Sorry, this is getting off-topic....)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: