duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
ive had like 30 lbs of sand sitting in my old setup for 2 months now and i recently purchased a 50 gal tank setup.is there anyway i can reuse the sand from that setup or just buy some new.its still moist.i heard something about freshwater wash but im adding some livestock to the tank as soon as i get it running and i dont want any die off from that sand.thanks

Breakin Newz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
New live sand from MY experiance has not caused a cycle for me... I have done about 5 tank transfers myself and always used NEW live sand without and kind of bad affects.... Corals and fish were good...

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i switched sand over from old tank to new tank, but i ran a filter in the water for a few hours, put sand and about 8" of water and put filter in, next morning i added all my live stock and corals with no loss

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I would think that if the bacteria can live in a bag of moist sand, it can live in the environment it has been living in. I would just rinse it with ro. or just wait til u do a water change, and use the waste water to rinse it.
JMO
But I use NSW also, so sterile is not my thing:shhh:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: