weirdbeard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
recent avalanche activity seems to have "popped" one section of my scoly, and now it seems to be getting worse. at first i could only see one spine if the skeleton, but now its expanding.....is there anything i can do to save it? salt is at 1.025 and the rest of my water paramaters are within range......the tank is 4 years old andis a 120gal w/30gal. fuge, just did a 25 gal water change 2 weeks ago, and planning on putting a new 65gal fuge in on monday....i've had this piece for over a year and i would hate to loose it...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
As long as the mouth is ok it should recover. It may take some time for it to open up around the skeleton. You want to make sure the area that isn't opening is out of the direct light, as algae will grow on it. This will cause the flesh not to expand around it.

How long ago did this happen? It could take some time to recover. Once some of it opens I would try and feed it.

Last edited:

weirdbeard

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
this is what the problem looks like

scoly damage 001.jpg

scoly damage 002.jpg

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It looks like it just pulled in and not that it's dying. It's very common and usually takes time to reopen again. Just keep that section out of the light and in time it will either reopen or grow back over it.

One of mine recently fell over and a section got damage. It's slowly expanding back over it but it's been about a month and it still hasn't cover the area.

seascape

Acan Crazy
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
i recently had this happen to one of my scoli's it was getting worse and for some reason it would not heal,this might sound dumb but i ended up moving it into my frag tank and now its as if it never happened took about 4 weeks,i also fed it everyday and in the food a couple drops of marine-c<< vitamin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: