MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
it's recommended that they don't have more than 850gph going through it and if I remember the LG 4MDQX is about 1200-1300 gph @ 0' so it maybe alittle too much for one SS. Whats the heads pressure and are using it on a manifold for other equipment?

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
how many feet up to your tank from the pump and also are there many 45 or 90 elbows going up.....these create back pressure(head) which reduces the flow of the pump...ex. I used a Dart which is rated at 3600gph @0' but at 10' straight up it' is only about 1400 gph which was good for two 3/4 SS. Also pressure rated pumps are better for these applications because they don't lose as much pressure as non rated pumps....My Dart is not pressure rated.

Last edited:

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
how many feet up to your tank from the pump and also are there many 45 or 90 elbows going up.....these create back pressure(head) which reduces the flow of the pump...ex. I used a Dart which is rated at 3600gph @0' but at 10' straight up it' is only about 1400 gph which was good for two 3/4 SS. Also pressure rated pumps are better for these applications because they don't lose as much pressure as non rated pumps....My Dart is not pressure rated.

Mike 38" from the return pump to the tank, 4 elbows!

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
well since you where willing to go buy a pump for it. so you have a few more dollars.

I would try to return or sell it and get a 1" seaswirl that could run off of your return pump that would be ideal.

you could also use a ball valve to throttle your return back a tiny bit and use the 3/4 seaswirl

or just go for it and see how she fly (what i would do most likely)

good luck I love my seaswirls I just wish they turned faster

Wolverine57

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.4%
246   4   0
Thanks all for your great input! I'm going in the Albano direction, since I already commited to buying a sa swirl 3/4 in from a member. And I'm trying to add flow but not to excessive being this will be a frag tank.
So I will T-Off my return add a ball valve and 1/2 to my sea swirl. I will let you all know it comes out. Thanks again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: