d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
FYI for folks not experienced in Sea Urchins like me.

I have an urchin smaller than a golf ball. It moves very very slowly in the tank but the darn thing has an appetite and a half.

It eats snails and small fish that lay around often such as cleaner gobies and dart fire fish like there is no tomorrow.

Never did I expect such a little thing to have such an appetite, the snails I dont mind but the fish was a disppointment.

Its going in the sump until I figure out what to do with it.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
oooook.....the haters thread....

I have known plenty of tanks that had urchins but they were large tanks so nothing noticeable ever happened....so I bought a baby urchin and put it in my tank!

FYI...the post is a head ups for people looking for information....The "experts" should not be bothered by little old post like this one but anyone considering a urchin will now have info...dont put a baby urchin in a small tank.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks for the post. I did not know this about them. I never even considered getting one because of their appetite for coraline algae, and their clumsiness.;)

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Its a Purple Short Spine Pincushion Urchin which is listed as a scavanger.

This one however grabs hold of the snails and locks on, travels around the tank with them, you check a few hours later and the snails are nothing but empty shells.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
The only time I have had an urchin eat a fish or an invert was after said fish or invert had died. They will decorate themselves in shells and corals to disguise themselves as well sometimes even a live invert or 2 will be caught up with the disguise but I have never seen or read anything about them hunting or killing any of the aforementioned animals.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I think this is a confusing topic. Sellers of urchins list them as scavangers.

I guess I will continue to monitor it before I give it a new home, I find the urchin to be an interesting little creature.

The only time I have had an urchin eat a fish or an invert was after said fish or invert had died. They will decorate themselves in shells and corals to disguise themselves as well sometimes even a live invert or 2 will be caught up with the disguise but I have never seen or read anything about them hunting or killing any of the aforementioned animals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: