Jdubbs

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Is it a bad Idea to put a (large or small - which ever would survive better) in a tank with Fish? Even if you target feed in area and turn off powerheads?

Would any reef critters or coral bother them?

siond

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a handful of fish that seahorses can go with. look up online they have a list. the problem is that most other fish are faster and will get to the food quicker.I personally have a engineer goby and scooter blenny. so if you target feed them then i guess it would help but other fish might pick on them. And its such a pain to target feed.
You also have the prob with movement, most other fish i think would like the powerheads where as SH need very little movement or moderate. Although SH are pretty hardy they are still very delicate compaired to others.
I would do more research b4 putting them in.
As far as critters and corals, critters are usually fine but corals you havta make sure that they dont have long tentacles or anythin that could sting the SH. make sure that they are non agressive. I have a gorgonian, candy cane and shrooms.

Last edited:

Jdubbs

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks. I have pretty strong flow, but pockets with less flow. Its a 75 g with a bunch of live rock. Yellow tang, orange spotted rabbit fish, clownfish, 2 anthias, and 2 wrasses. Opinions? I'd consider any species.

siond

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ehhh, im not sure how the tang and rabbit will do with the SH. but the others look fine. the flow might b a prob though. As far as species i dunno all of them well enough to suggest.

asianer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I've kept seahorses in with different wrasses, clownfish and gobies and have never had a problem although the other fish will steal food before the seahorses are able to get to them but once they are full the seahorses are able to feed. You can always try the "feeding station" method in a slower flow area of the tank. The only issue that became a concern was a large hermit crab that would sometimes grasp onto the seahorses tail. I would probably avoid any stinging corals.

Is it a bad Idea to put a (large or small - which ever would survive better) in a tank with Fish? Even if you target feed in area and turn off powerheads?

Would any reef critters or coral bother them?

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Is little to no flow really a must? In the wild they are exposed to areas of moderate to high flow on the reef. I have seen them in Bonaire and the Bay Islands off Honduras thrive in areas of moderate flow from the Caribbean Current.

What if the tank had enough live rock where there was moderate flow with some sheltered places?

Im curious also because I am considering SHs down the road. In a mixed reef with clown fish, soft corals and gorgonians.

LMK

asianer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I've seen them get tossed around in a strong powerhead and didn't want to risk injuring them so I turned it down. They might be able to survive in moderate to heavy flow but that was something I didn't try.

Is little to no flow really a must? In the wild they are exposed to areas of moderate to high flow on the reef. I have seen them in Bonaire and the Bay Islands off Honduras thrive in areas of moderate flow from the Caribbean Current.

What if the tank had enough live rock where there was moderate flow with some sheltered places?

Im curious also because I am considering SHs down the road. In a mixed reef with clown fish, soft corals and gorgonians.

LMK

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Yes strong flow should def be avoided.

I dont think little to no flow is the way to go.

Somewhere in the middle with sheltered areas.

Maybe flow on the top of live rock with ledges underneath of slower water movement.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i ran a mj 900 as only flow on my ap 24g sh tank. just made sure i had enough snails and stuff to keep tank clean, also had alot of seagrass which kept all parms in check, did 1 water change in 8 months and used a pipette to feed them, had a pair of yellow watchman gobies in tank and a few different shrimps to catch fod they didnt get, big different in a direct flow and a wide flow of the ocean

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: