fripclaksid

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after my months of experience with 2 different pairs, losing the first (ugh) below are crucial key points I've learned about seahorses. Let me know if you guys think my assessment is on point. Also big shoutout to seahorse source http://www.seahorsesource.com/ . The owner talked to me for a really long time about seahorses and he has really filled some gaps for me. I also was thinking about adding a pair and he made me realize I wasn't yet prepared which is ALWAYS a great sign of a good "customer 1st" business.

1. VERY IMPORTANT where you buy from. Buying captive bred is the ONLY way to go.

2. They don't need a large tank. They are mostly sessile. My horses were more happier in my tiny 3 gallon than in my 20 gallon. The only reason you need to go big is because of waste production. These guys eat a lot and they poop a lot. I think small tanks are the way to go with seahorses and keep constant maintenance on it (NO VACATIONS FROM NOW ON!)

3. They do NEED constant maintenance. These guys are POOP MACHINES!! I'm sure each of my seahorses take down about 5-10 LARGE PE Mysis. Like... where does it all even go?

So just with these 3 key points I'm sure you can keep seahorses healthy for a long time. Things I didn't mention are obvious to the experienced aquarist like filtration and temperature consistency ( seahorses like cooler water and I often found myself with a tank that was too warm and I had to get a chiller ).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: