dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Found this and didnt know if i should be worried. I took the star right off the polyp but it was pretty stuck to the polyp. Here are pics, let me know if i should just let it be or keep removing them if i see them glued to each polyp.

Thanks!
D

Attachments

• IMG_7965.jpg
    IMG_7965.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7968.jpg
    IMG_7968.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 127

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Heard of them eating zoas but also heard of them doing no harm. Want to know if someone has first hand experience with these guys actually eating zoas or something. Just want to make sure they are harmless. I dont want something eating my zoas when i am transferring over to the new tanks...

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Yea get rid of them asap. There are 2 types of asterians. That one you have eats zoas. My old tank I had those eat a few of my zoas. I plucked them from my tank nonstop whenever I saw them.

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Yea get rid of them asap. There are 2 types of asterians. That one you have eats zoas. My old tank I had those eat a few of my zoas. I plucked them from my tank nonstop whenever I saw them.

+1. I have found that the ones that have more tan/black on them are the ones that eat zoas (they are the ones that I always saw on mine :grumpy:)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It would be best if you got yourself a Harley so that it can pick your rocks clean of these asterinas as they like to hide out on the back & underside of the rocks.
The damage they can do to a zoa population - even over a single night - is depressing :(

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Definitely pick out as many as you can. I always pick those suckers out they will def eat all your zoas. People say there is diff kinds honestly I don't care what color it is it's going in the toilet or garbage I have seen more white ones, ones with brown they all eat zoos.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Ok i guess i might just have to get a harlequin shrimp then, just afraid it might die once there is no stars left... OR should i just remove them everytime is see them?

Can i rent a hungry harlequin shrimp from someone?!... lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Once there are no stars left, you need to feed the Harley chocolate chip star fish and it can happily live in your tank. They are very entertaining and you can even have a pair of them..as long as they are M/F!! - they will travel around the tank together.

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
You won't totally eradicate them without a harlequin shrimp , however look for them on your Glass and you can use a toothpick to stick em in the center with and carefully raise it out of your tank , I had a few here and there. I may see one every one to two months and that's how I remove em.

JarviZ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How do you tell which one eats zoas and ones that don't? I found one attached to my live rock of my mushroom coral. I was told the asterina I had was harmless, but now I'm not so sure after reading this page :irked:

My mushroom corals look fine so far and I always see the star hanging on their rock, but I don't think its eating them. Do they only attack zoas?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: