Jase

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone keep any shrimp in there refugium, ar do you think they are counter productive?

Joe_B

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on this board once wrote that they keep a mantis shrimp in their sump.
icon_wink.gif

Larry Grenier

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong but they aren't much of a predator so they wouldn't deplete the pods. Also, if you get a pair, they may start spawning and adding to the fauna. If this is a visible refugium, it may look a little more interesting with a few shrimp.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by Larry Grenier:
Correct me if I'm wrong but they aren't much of a predator so they wouldn't deplete the pods. Also, if you get a pair, they may start spawning and adding to the fauna. If this is a visible refugium, it may look a little more interesting with a few shrimp.

Well that would depend on the family and species of shrimp.
Shrimp of the family Alpheidae ( snapping shrimp ) are pod predators and while they will not wipe out a refugium as quick as a fish they will consume plenty, while shrimp of the family Hippolydidae ( cleaner shrimp ) shouldn't cause problems.

Regards,
David Mohr

scavdog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just set up a 50 gallon refugium. This is to be a new home for my pair of Coral Banded Shrimp. They cause nothing but grief for me in the main tank. The slow-flow environment should be a great place for them to spawn.

icon_biggrin.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: