Fishy15

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So my 24g tank has been up and running for about one year now but for some reason i'm not able to keep a SECOND clownfish alive. I started off my tank a year ago slowly with a CUC including my cleaner shrimp that is still alive. I have one clownfish that has been with me for about half a year. So this is where it gets strange.

I've tried 7-8 times to add a second clownfish for my existing clownfish but for some reason the new one keeps dying. I don't ever see any symptoms or physical abnormalities before the fish dies. I've suspected Ich and brooklynella which is why i left my tank fallow for the first 6 months of running my tank. No luck.

I've also suspected low oxygen but my tank is an open cover with plenty of surface agitation and is housing only one small clown. I also suspected flukes so i treated my tank with prazipro and i still have had no luck. Stray voltage was also suspected so i replaced my heaters. THIS has been driving me nuts and any suggestions on what the culprit might be extremely helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 244

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I would second that thought. Put the old one and the new one in a small 10 gallon or something. No where to run, no where to hide.
Another thing that helps is to get one that's much dif in size.
Are you qt-ing the new fish first?

zenfish

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is you original clownfish rom? wild caught or captive raised?

aggression: do you see the new clownfish hanging out in the tank corners up high? usually a sign of aggression, plus the ripped fins, etc. etc. but early warning sings are a cornered fish.

where/what kind of new clowns? what species of clown? new clowns tank raised or captive born? what store did u get them from?

mtxguy8

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
sometime the stablished fish will not show aggression right away, sometimes at night when light off they do what thwy have to do.. brooklynella affect wild or tank bred clownfish regarless it doesnt discriminate

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah, but all had brooklynella?, and didn't see any signs of it,and didn't spread to other fish?

Another thing to consider is the lfs salinity level. Many lfs run lower salt to help control parasites. Then you put him into regular salt levels and it can be too much too fast adding to the stress. Check the water your fish comes in

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: