Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have a EuroReef ES5-2 skimmer and it has worked great for over a year now, but all of a sudden it is producing way too much foam . It fills the skimmer cup within a couple of hours. I have tried lowering the riser pipe to no avail. Even at it's lowest setting, it is still too much foam. Even removed the pipe with no effect on the foam . I lowered the water in my sump to get the water height down in the skimmer, but I should not have to go this as it has been working fine for over a year with the 20 gal.sump half full . Anyone else have this problem or have an idea as to the cause of this suddenly. Nothing has changed in my setup and nothing was added before this happened.I've also taken the skimmer out and made sure there were no restrictions in the riser pipe.
?????

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First do a water change, as there maybe some thing in the water causing the skimmer to go crazy. Also clean out the skimmer and the pump, there could be some thing in the skimmer that is causing it to go crazy.

Also you want to increase the water level in the sump. The deeper the skimmer sits in the water the hard it is to produce foam. Finally instead of using the riser pipe get a gate value. This way you'll be better able to control the skimmer.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks...

OK...I am so stupid!!!as a matter of fact I had just done a 15gal water change before this happened so of course it is the water (NSW) that has the skimmer going bonkers. Maybe it was the small jelly fish that were in the water. Waterever.... , it was something in the chemistry of the water I added.

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Also it seems the way my skimmer works is that the higher the water in the sump the higher the water level in the skimmer .....thus ,I have more foam coming out of the riser tube. I have taken some water out of my sump and the foam has stopped pouring out of the top of the skimmer. So this will be my fix until I change the water again and see what happens.
thanx for the input....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: