JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we lost power for 12 days but we limped along with a 1750W camper generator, 4 group 33 batteries and a truck that has a custom 300W alternator that I kept running for 18hrs a day. We had a FEW lights, fridge, heat and hot water.

I was able to run the return pump and the LED lights but NOT enough power to run the 300W heaters so the the tank plummeted from its ideal 80F to about 68F.

As soon as power came back on I turned everything on but the skimmer immediately overflowed. I assumed this was because there must have been a ton of organics in the water - the fuge lights were off for 12 days! - so I did a 15% WC on Sunday night. I did another 15% tonight. I turned the skimmer back on and while it didn't overflow right away it is running very "high". After only about 20mins the cup is about 1/3 full and it's very light in color.

It seems like things are moving in the right direction so should I just shut the skimmer off and do more WCs over the next few days?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Yes, keep it up. If you want, mix up some saltwater. Turn on the skimmer and let it fill up and replenish the amount that's in the cup. Might speed it up, but your way works as well.

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I'm still running my crappy Coralife 65G. I bought a big Diablo XS160 but it arrived right before the storm and setting it up kinda became the lowest priority if you know what I mean... :(

So far in the last few days I have performed (3) 15% WC's and I'm in the middle of the 4th. Skimmer is back to normal BUT skimmate is VERY cloudy and "stinky".

Only causality: a leather coral "melted" on Day 9...

JT101

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so after the 4th WC (which totalled 40g over a few days) the skimmer was back to normal.

Only problem is, now my huge toadstool leather looks like it's on the way out...!

It was leaning over to the right when the lights went back on. After a few days the polyps finally extended but it remained "flaccid" for lack of a better term.

One day after coming home from work my wife said the toadstool was finally "erect" for most of the day, but eventually it deflated again and slumped to the LEFT.

It still extends its polyps for a few days, but yesterday a 1/2" hole appeared offcenter of the stalk.

Aside from the other leather that melted during the power outage everything else seems fine.

Even my Kenya tree - which I have heard is an excellent indicator of water quality - seems perfect.

I'm stumped! Any ideas anyone? I thought leathers were the hardiest corals out there...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: