nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Hello Everyone,

I am wondering whether someone can recommend me a good skimmer for a 150 G tank. I just placed an order for a Red Sea Reefer 525XL tank (Thanks Pop Corals). I did read about skimmers. But would like to hear from our members too...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had a Reef Octopus 3000 INT skimmer on my 150G cube+30G fuge+50G sump and I loved it. I probably could have gotten away with the 2000 INT most likely but I had it from my 210G setup so I just kept it.

Vertex Omega skimmers are pretty nicely built as well but you would probably need the 200i and we're talking a $200+ bump compared to the Reef Octopus ones.

But if you have the SWC 160 already why not just use that? I have an older SWC 300 on my system now and I like it. It's not the same fancy design and look at the other brands but hey, it gets the job done.

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Vertex is the quietest of above mention, and rock steady once dialed in.
Reef octopus the best bang for buck, and a work horse
Nyos has some good qualities, like it's pump, but also some weak spots in its design

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I've heard great things about the Nyos, I ran a skimz sm203 which did a great job, now I'm running a BK 200 mini with the speedy pump which I really like. Prices vary greatly, all will do the job.

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks everyone. I read that NYOS is an excellent skimmer but removing the cup for cleaning is pain. And Skimz are great too ... I have been using SCW 160 on my 75G tank and was happy. But this time I am looking into other options... Quiet and well performing skimmer... Again thanks everyone for your inputs.

Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: