SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well my frogspawn I have always been a little sensitive to so I know how that sting feels. Although 3 heads have finished splitting and there are big bubbles in the centers of them now.

I didnt know that bristleworms can loose their bristles. Can I do this extraction method with a smaller bottle? I only have a 29G and there isnt much room in it. and does it have to rest on the sand?

Yeah, you can do it with a smaller bottle, particularly if you're willing to stand there with a pair of chopsticks or forceps or something to fish 'em out with. Just make sure you make the holes at one end and put the food at the other, and lean it up against the rocks or substrate.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The best way to decrease a population of bristleworms is to feed less. The population grows in direct proportion to the amount of available food in the tank :(
The will dwindle in time with less food available.

Meh, I like having a bunch of them in my tank -- it lets me feed a bunch, 'cause they'll make sure it's cleaned up, and when there get to be too many of them, one or another other things eats them. :)

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I'm actually allergic to Tropic Marin salt, I have no problem with the Seachem and Brightwell salts I use now. I have heard other people say the Brightwell burns them. What Brand of salt are you using?

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
A UV sterilizer will help with the free floaters.. Just run it with a low flow rate

...Uh, no it won't. A UV filter won't remove floating bristles and probably won't kill cnidae. (Contrary to popular belief, UV sterilizers don't generally directly kill the organisms that they control, at least in any immediate way. They damage their genetic structure and cause mutations that prevent them from reproducing.)

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
i have sensitive skin and i sometimes have the same problem. can't really decipher what is causing it because i work with three large tanks with various sps, lps and nems, but what i can tell you is that putting cortizone cream and a thick lotion on the rash after i'm done sticking my hands in the tanks seems to sooth it and slow down its progression of the rash. i put my money on a minor salt allergy. do you have clusters of dried salt anywhere on your overflow? if i accidentally brush up against that the burn is immediate and i have to run my arm under cold water to stop the rash from forming.

shaunsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the salt your using..My dad uses I/O in the shop and his hands are all dryed out from it..He says hes going to switch salts ..But what is Better ???

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/reef_sleeves.htm

cheap thin plastic arm length gloves

Could it be allergy to something in the air, which makes your skin more sensitive, then by going in the tank the salt water gets into the effect area of your arm that has the allergy problem already??? Im not saying this is the case, just throwing ideas out there.

I think these will work great for me. I was going to splurge and get the CoraLife ones, was actually on the line to pay for them when I tried them on. It was laughable for me. Way too big for my arm and the plastic is hard and clunky. They would work best to move the LR around to aquascape but not to grab corals.

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
They damage their genetic structure and cause mutations that prevent them from reproducing.)

Great I already have tons of bristleworms now you guys want me to have mutants in the tank! :division:

I have used the same salt since starting tank almost a year ago. I never changed it and always have it at SP 1.025. I always had my hands in the tank in the begining and would have to put them in once in a while to adjust what the big hermits would knock over, or to add another coral.

I do think it has to be related to adding the snails. I added 10 snails in total. I also added 4 spiny oysters and 1 red flame scallop dont know if one of these mollusks can carry the same parasites. From what I read of swimmers itch (which im sure this is what I am experiencing) the parasites are carried by these snails and look for a host (only birds can host them). They try to host on humans if we go in the water but cant so they die and leave us with these bumps and itchiness. The Codfather put a link early on in the post if anyone wants to read up on it. It also happens in ponds and pools and people are warned not to go in until the parasites die off.

Anyway I do think it could be what is going on. They will soon die off and the tank water wont burn (hopefully). I will keep you posted on this.

In the meantime I will order those gloves from the reefguys, and put cortizone cream on my skin if I need to put my hand in my tank, which unfortunately I do since something knocked over my black suncoral :supermad:

Thank you everyone who has been responding and helping me through this. I am sure this happens to wquite a few reefers and this thread will help them out. Thanks again! You guys rock! :thrash:

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
LOL he takes my word for it. He has never put his hand in the tank before and doesnt want to now.

he says its the equivalent of someone saying : ew I think this food went bad here taste it. LOL

Have you asked your husband or anyone else to try their hand in the tank? That might help u determine if it's an allergic response or a parasite

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: