jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I collected a bucket of seaweed at the beach to use for fertilizer and got some live slipper shells in the mix ( with the algae using them as an anchor ). Can they live in my reef or brackish tank ?

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Hi Eric,

The slipper shells you find on LI can not tolerate temperatures over 70 degrees F and die off quickly. They are also filter feeders. They don't offer much value in the aquarium.

Other common finds within seaweed on LI is periwinkles. They also can not survive in temps over 70 degrees and perish rather quickly.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
ok hopefully theyll stay alive in the damp seaweed until i can return them to the water in the morning. I'm gonna see if I can do some 'pod collecting too. Is the local macro that washes up any good ( while still alive ) for our tanks?

BTW - the brackish tank is for mudskippers. African cichlids are hard-water fish, not brackish as is commonly repeated.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep slipper shells (Crepidula fornicata...gotta love that name...) in my local tank. They live pretty well. They don't do much. They are not filter feeders, they are algae scrapers that don't really move much or far. A few smaller ones have moved to the glass. I have put them into my reef tank, usually inadvertently when the are the holdfast for seaweed like Gracilaria that I collect as tang food. They do survive, but I can't say for how long as they don't exactly do much to demonstrate being alive......

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I keep slipper shells (Crepidula fornicata...gotta love that name...) in my local tank. They live pretty well. They don't do much. They are not filter feeders, they are algae scrapers that don't really move much or far. A few smaller ones have moved to the glass. I have put them into my reef tank, usually inadvertently when the are the holdfast for seaweed like Gracilaria that I collect as tang food. They do survive, but I can't say for how long as they don't exactly do much to demonstrate being alive......

They are filter feeders not algae eaters. Here is a quote from the Journal of Molluscan Studies:

"Since C. fornicata is a filter-feeder, trophic competition and associated negative effects when epizootic on bivalves have been assumed."

Check here for more info here: Slipper Shell

You can search Google Scholar for more information if needed.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: