Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 34G Solana is up and running!

Nothing too wild, been up for a few days -- got some great live rock from Jim at Saltwatercritters. Not sure if I want to add more to go a little higher in the tank, chewing on it.

Just a FTS for now and an off angle shot to show the passageway for an escape route -- figured that might be a good thing once we add some livestock.

Nitrates come in at around 10-15, Nitrites and ammonia at 0.0, sp gravity at 1.025 and won't know pH until I get my meter back tomorrow from work.

Guess now I'll just sit back and read and wait... :)

Thanks for all the help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25869105@N06/5038067920/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25869105@N06/5038067962/

JT

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks -- it actually took me two complete re-arrangements to get it right, husband and son thought I had lost my mind.

Frankly, I'm still reading and thinking about what corals to go with, keep changing my mind. The lighting is the Nova Extreme Pro T5, so I should have reasonable options.

Going to be conservative with livestock. Thinking about a pair of clowns, maybe a goby-shrimp pair and perhaps a blenny.

Had a great time discussing fish with Jim on Saturday!

JT

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Solana is a very visually arresting tank. For a laugh, if you look at my original post in the Beginner's Forum the "plan" was to go with a 14g Biocube for my bedroom. What I ended up with is VERY different!

As I read more and (fatefully as it turns out) visited Jim of SaltwaterCritters, I just became drawn to the great design and shape of the Solana. A couple of the Solana tanks on this site really sealed the deal. Actually, as my daughter pointed out, I have a "thing" for square layouts -- I still prefer to shoot 120 film (in the 6x6 format).

So in the back, I have the standard skimmer in column 1, in column 2 the sponge on top and I've built a refugium for chaeto on the bottom and chemi-pure elite in the middle (I'm waiting to physically add them, actually have to find a chaeto source). I pulled the ATO from Column 3 and will probably replace it with the Tunze osmolator when my credit card recovers or I moonlight a little. The heater is there now.

Just my luck regarding the timing of the Frag Fest as the tank won't be ready for coral. I'll be returning from a trip that day -- if I can schedule my return early enough I will go just to learn and probably drool.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the scaping -- I think I will not add any more at present and see how it goes. Still worried that it doesn't go more than half way up, but I like simplicity...

Sitting here looking at it now and relaxing after an annoying day at work!

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Jill,

I wouldn't go higher with any rock as I would look to have corals fill that space and perhaps a coral on a rock will also increase it's height.

I love the look and of course the clean lines of the solana. Absolutely awesome tank and you have done it great justice.

As for the ATO, I would be careful with the Tunze. So many stories of the pump rusting out and causing problems. I know there are many other happy people with that choice, but it's just not worth it. The RF level controller is by far one of the best in class for ATO's. It also provides a shut off so that you don't ovefil the tank and it can be set as a hang on in the last chamber with egg crate.

Anyhow, I have plenty of chaeto as well. When you're ready, it's here.

Well done and enjoy saving the reef "one glass box at a time"

Jim

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, noozby -- missed your note yesterday, luckily it looks like Jim has me covered.

Hey Jim!

Your rock really looks nice, the off angle shot shows off some of the colors. Yeah, I decided not to "pile on" and will let things take shape.

Hah, the Tunze idea was Steve's as he is (as you probably know by now) quite averse to "fiddling". So great, we're going to try to make it to the swap and maybe you and Steve can talk ATOs a bit. I've assigned him the Reefkeeper Lite as his responsibility anyway... :tongue1:

Jil

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update

OK, the tank has been up and running for about 6 weeks. No major mishaps and it seems to have cycled. Parameters are looking good, set the refugium up last week and added Chemi-pure elite a few days ago and the water is super clear.

Still fighting a bit of algae (c'mon CUC, get to work) and I'm not sure what the little trumpet-like stalks are or the very dark red spots (hopefully not cyano :( ) -- but nothing has "taken off".

I think we are ready for some starter corals (I love all the zoas) -- suggestions and sources are very welcome. And my son wants me to add a pair of clowns, so hopefully soon. Still a little nervous about adding livestock, but the boys are tiring of the "rock garden".

Some new pics-- sorry for quality, just some quick grabs before getting back to work. Input always appreciated!

Nov FTS
Nov Side View
Nov Top Down
What are these?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lenny,

No, there's never been any tap water in the tank, I have a BRS RO/DI unit and I've been doing weekly 5 gal water changes.

I dropped the photo period and while I know the Phosphate kits are pretty lousy it reads < .03 .

Frankly, one of the reasons I held back on wildlife was to have the "out" of converting the tank to FW if things got to out of hand. I'll look into adding a phosban reactor, have to figure out where it would go as there is not tons of room in the back at this point.

Will have to think about how to proceed....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: