cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Are you talking like bones from pieces of meat that are left over? Those are not good because they are too soft and can break into sharp pieces. Also not easily digested.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Yes those are no good. They are too soft, when broken will be sharp and aren't easily digested. There are certain bones you can purchase from a butcher (I can't recall which off the top but will think of it) but still should only be given under supervision. Honestly the ones you buy at the pet store (ie smoked) aren't really good for them either. Pig ears are especially bad.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i dont give my lab bones any more, because he would always puke it up at night. now a raw hide occasionally.
if you do give bones only beef bones.
my daughter worked for a vet for five yrs, they say no bones their not nutritious and ware down their teeth.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You can give raw beef marrow bones, raw chicken bones.

DO NOT GIVE ANY ANY ANY COOKED BONES!!!

Raw bones are great for keeping teeth clean. My boxers are on a raw diet.

Too much bone is bad-it's a natural stool stiffener. You can give them poop that is way too stiff and they'll be constipated in a way.

The balance for a raw diet is 80% muscle meat, 10% organs and 10% bone.

So if your dog on a raw diet eats 2 pounds a day only 3.2 ounces should be bone out of the 32 ounces they eat.

Also another EXTREMELY important thing to remember is when feeding bone DO NOT give any bone that has been trimmed by a butcher such as steak bones they only chomp enough times to squeeze it down the hatch. They're teeth are designed for crushing, not grinding food down. Because of how they eat a trimmed bone will cause blockages much easier.

Also if your dog is on kibble limit the amount of raw anything they get. The body produces 1 set of enzymes to break down raw foods and a completely different set to break down cooked foods. If you mix them it confuses the body, the dogs internals will produce both and then you get stomach issues.

One last thing. If you give beef bones do not ever to any dog give bones that are from a cows legs. They are designed to support thousands of pounds and the dog can easily chip a tooth/teeth.

Edd most vets and vet techs are HIGHLY mislead when it comes to bones and such. Dietary classes is a very small part of vets school. From what Ive been told its barely over a day at most.

Also soft bones is not what is bad- brittle is bad. Soft doesnt splinter like cooked brittle bones do and is why they're great to keep clean teeth.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Thanks for the input.

Jimmy, I heard bristle bones are bad for dogs but aren't chicken bone also bristle?

What about wheat? I also heard someone saying dogs cannot digest wheat which in turns means no beard nor cookies. Is that true? I have been stopping people to feed my pup any of such when they visit my lounge.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Thanks for the input.

Jimmy, I heard bristle bones are bad for dogs but aren't chicken bone also bristle?

What about wheat? I also heard someone saying dogs cannot digest wheat which in turns means no beard nor cookies. Is that true? I have been stopping people to feed my pup any of such when they visit my lounge.

Chicken bones are fine as long as they're raw. They don't become brittle until cooked. In fact any --untampered by us-- as in their natural form are fine. The only limitation is if your dog isn't big/strong enough to chomp through it.

Boxers especially are sensitive to grain but yes more and more people are realizing their dogs do much better on a grain free diet.

ANY food meant for us- bread etc. are not good for dogs. Kibble is actually not very nutritional no matter the brand. The way kibble is produced even though they brag about the fruits am veggies in them aren't what they seem. The better more expensive kibbles or OK but nothing to brag about.

They cook everything at the same temperatures. The temperature at which the protein will be cooked to hopefully not spread koodies. The problem is the meat keeps its nutritional value to let's say 180 degrees well the fruits, veggies and everything else is past the point where the nutritional benefits are lost once cooked past lets say 110 degrees. What winds up happening that all that good stuff just become filler. That why its so easy for our dogs to get overweight on kibble.

Thanks for the input.

Chicken bones are fine as long as they're raw. They don't become brittle until cooked. In fact any --untampered by us-- as in their natural form are fine. The only limitation is if your dog isn't big/strong enough to chomp through it.

Boxers especially are sensitive to grain but yes more and more people are realizing their dogs do much better on a grain free diet.

ANY food meant for us- bread etc. are not good for dogs. Kibble is actually not very nutritional no matter the brand. The way kibble is produced even though they brag about the fruits am veggies in them aren't what they seem. The better more expensive kibbles or OK but nothing to brag about.

They cook everything at the same temperatures. The temperature at which the protein will be cooked to hopefully not spread koodies. The problem is the meat keeps its nutritional value to let's say 180 degrees well the fruits, veggies and everything else is past the point where the nutritional benefits are lost once cooked past lets say 110 degrees. What winds up happening that all that good stuff just become filler. That why its so easy for our dogs to get overweight on kibble.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Boxer owners are the most educated dog owners. Lol

Lol. It's because the breed is plagued by health problems but they're worth every bit of stress. We do tend to have to get crazy in depth with dietary info and cancer info. The 2 biggest vices the breed has:happysad:

I'm also guessing you have at least one? If so you're probably an educated guy in weird aspects yourself;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: