motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
but it always sem like such a good discussion... remeber the herbie design, he kinda modified the durso drain system to be used in a RR tank with 2 bulkheads per box..
im doing my drains today and have come up with a version of it.. on my 1" drain i uped it to a 1.5" with a high flow tee..the top has a cap and i will be putting in a 1/4" ballvalve for my airline, also below the bilkhead where its back to the 1" there will be the ballvalve to adjust flow.. i figure between the 2, the air valve and the flow valve ill be able to fine tune it with little to no noise.

second the 3/4" bulkhead i have with juat a 1" adapter to a 1" elbo at the top just for the collection of excess overflow water..

i understand that a 1" bulkhead will only flow the max of the smallest diameter, so tecnically the 1.5 doesnt flow any higher than the 1"..but what i figure is that with the larger diameter intake itll increase the inpipe volume relating to higher flow pressure within the drain w/o increasing the water noise bc its already in the drain and will be sucking the air from the top of the tee with a 3" spacer with a cap as an accumulator which will allow for small fluctuations w/o causing syphen noises..

once its plumbed to the sump and fuge( i have 2 seperate units,1 40g custom king sump and 1 4og breeder as my fuge) i will then up the piping to 1.5" again bc that will slow the rate of pressure into the sump/fuge w/o sacrificing water flow and before it drains into the filter socks i will have a tee instead of an elbow to release airbubbles instead of pushing them thru the units...

here are the pics of ther drains... id love feedback and some other ideas if you think somethings off with what im thinking..

tomorow as i plumb the sump/fuge and the return back over the top, ill post more pics.. and hopefully by nxt weekend ill have the closed loop system plumbed...

I also have a 40g display i have to plumb into the system and a ince small frag tank from custom king..

that all befor the reactors, UV sterilizer and the skimmer... so fun fun fun!!!:banghead::smash:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I had that prob. too. I ordered a durso from Richard Durso.(I guess the same guy its named after) and mine is virtually silent the only noise I have now is the water draining into the filter sock. It was cheap also the durso was only 18 bucks and change and the strainer was I think another 8 or so. It comes with 2 indrilled endcaps that you drill starting out with a super smal hole and increase until you get it to where theres no flushing sound and fluctuation. If you want to check it out heres the site. ---Also one thing youll notice is hes states that for some reason it works because the pipe is 1 1/4" that reduces to 1" for the bulkhead- he said that through his experimenting he found it to work much better than just straight 1" but bigger than 1 1/2" no need to do the downsiz thing. He also gives you all the dimension for if you want to diy one so itll only cost you a few bucks if you dont want to buy one from him. Anyway heres the site if anyone wants to check it out. Hope this helps someone

www.dursostandpipes.com

Last edited:

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
def does.. so my thoughts of going larger was close to the idea and the drill the air hole larger till it get quiet would be the same as my idea of a valve on top of the drain to adjust the air intake.. cool.. makes me feel better.. so the theory in my mind wasnt complete crap afer all... i just went a lil too big bc i went 1.5"... thanks jimmy!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: