Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Has anyone experienced a spike in Ca and Mg in their tanks?

Tank is a 29 cube mixed reef @ 7 months old. All corals are doing fine, but over the past 2 months my ca and mg tests have creeped up.

Ca is at 575 and mg is at 1675 using saifert kits. I tested freshly made water and also got over 500 ca and 1600 mg using IO reef crystals.

Only thing that has really in this time frame is that i started dosing 3 ml of Reef code B, every other day to raise the KH, which was at 7-8....that has not really changed any.

Thoughts....???

Temp-78
SG-1.026
pH-8.0
kH-8
Ca-575
Mg-1675

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Weird

The tank is small enough. Do some big water changes and you should be back up to snuf

Can say that when calcium goes up alkaline usually goes down and vice verse. And when mag is out of range it tends to make cal and alk unstable/ swing around

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Using a refractometer to test salinity and it was though the roof. Guess that old swing arm hydrometer is ready for the trash.

Testing over 1.030, slowly trying to bring it down by replacing a half gallon a day. Calcium and magnesium are following down into normal ranges.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: