MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Jaeger as most will tell you it depends on many variables. Usually the most common ones being high PO4 and high Nitrates. You should post your water params.

With that said, keep in mind that it's also very common for frags to brown out until they start growing and show their true colors.

tynman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It all depends on the phos and nitrate levels and what they are use to. Where they were in the light of the other tank. How old are the bulbs? And yes some of my sps stay brown until they encrust and start to grow new branches and then they color up. But it can be one factor or a few factors. Trial and error and test the water.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I dont wanna take over thread but i am alos having the same problem but with only two of my SPS i have a neon green/purple montipora that is browning out and a purple nana that wont color up tank parameters listed below.

ph 8.4
po3 0
nitrates bet. 25 - 40ppm
Calcium 425ppm
Magnesium 1410ppm
salinity 1.025
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
iodine 0.01
dkh 8
temp 78

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I dont wanna take over thread but i am alos having the same problem but with only two of my SPS i have a neon green/purple montipora that is browning out and a purple nana that wont color up tank parameters listed below.

ph 8.4
po3 0
nitrates bet. 25 - 40ppm
Calcium 425ppm
Magnesium 1410ppm
salinity 1.025
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
iodine 0.01
dkh 8
temp 78

Nitrates of 25-40 ar really high for a SPS tank.

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Also make sure to feed, feed, and feed your system. Just regular fish food is enough. Try to keep some level of phosphates in your system. 0 is not good for good SPS color as well as too much will not work either. The key is keeping that fine balance. Having an oversized skimmer coupled with heavier feedings has worked very well for me.

I

if only

Rating - 100%
89   0   0
I agree with MACH5, feed,feed,feed. My current parameters are Po4 0.015, No3 1. Calcium, alk and mag are stable and have been so for 6 months or so. I feed phyto daily, oyster eggs every other day ( lights out ) and the fish are feed 3 times daily. The skimmer is rated at twice the system volume. I have struggled to get good results, but now it appears that colour and growth are good. Patience and good husbandry will pay off, just dont try to hard, keep it simple!:cheers:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: