curator

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inadvertently acquired a pesky predator to my system last year, the Aeolid Nudibranch.
The Aeolid belongs to the suborder Aeolidoidea, and is very unique amongst other Nudibranch relative to its defense mechanism. The Nudibranch consumes SPS and actually separates these stinging cells within its digestive track. Interestingly the stinging cells (nematocysts) are not digested at all, but relocated to the tips of its extremities. Perhaps because of this there seems to be no know biological control. Reading some post on the boards led me to a Tracy Gray whom has had a previous published article on dealing with the pests. Applying Tracy’s method of defense (Tetra Oomed) I was not able to kill off the predator. In later conversations Tracy shared that the method had initially appeared to work, but in the long run noticed it had failed. I found no means of irradiating the Nudibranch’s from the system other than a slow tedious manual process. I did however slow (if not temporarily halt the reproductive cycle) by dropping the temperature of the system for 80 to 74 degrees and lowering the salinity from 1.024 to
1.0185. The amount of newly deposited egg sacs seemed to stop all together and I went through the long process of dipping infected colonies in a fresh water solution.

JeremyR

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the montipora eating version a couple years ago.. we were able to get rid of it via manual removal.. diligence eventually breaks the cycle. I found no natural predators or chemicals that got rid of them.. they are not sensitive to oomed or greenex or the usual stuff people kill flatworms with. I find it comical that someone actually published an article saying oomed was the hot ticket.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: