• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

kris4647

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone recognize this one. Sorry for the pic its one of my first ever pic posting.......Thanks in advance ---------Kris

Attachments

• posttry.jpg
    posttry.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,404

kris4647

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...

I paid a little extra for it and I was wondering if it was worth it or not.

Also is the vertical growth pretty common for Capricornis?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not positive that it's capricornis. I think it's definitely Montipora, but there are lots of species in the genus that have that growth pattern.

In any case, high light, moderate to high flow, Ca/Alk/pH levels high, and good water quality is what they need.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vert. growth (god, I can't remember the technical name for it... :oops:) is common for many species of monitpora. It is probably a cap, as mentioned above.

-JB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think that is an m. capricornis? Other than being a montipora sp. I don't think it exhibits any of the features of a m. capricornis. Looks more like an m. confusa, but really not sure. Don't think it looks like an m. capricornis though.

kris4647

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone. This is my first SPS tank and I dont have the ID literature to even make a stab at it. It was sold to me at a higher price by an LFS [I know, not shocking, but in the past they are relatively reliable and fair] because it was a rare type sps. I'm pleased with it without regard to name, but it would be nice to know. Most SPS tank folks have a long line of coral scientific names ready to throw down :lol: ............

Maybe a better pic?

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,338

Chucker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A thought for the future... Try to make the ID and research what conditions the coral requires before purchase. Your critters will thank you in the long run.

kris4647

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chuck,
If I told you the equipment on this tank you'd know that every possible condition this coral needs is taken care of. Its a 215RR Two Ampmaster 3k [skimmer and return] Litermeter, Kalk reactor, Dual CA reactor, Beckett skimmer. Octopus 3000, Iwasaki/VHO combo, Seaswirls Etc. All the goodies plus 350 lbs of Kaelini LR and water params all where they are suposed to be. I do agree with what you are saying though, its a shame folks not only waste cash but also kill an animal that could live and thrive under more appropriate conditions.

I'm looking for a specific ID here. I dont think I'd be too far off by applying the general care guidelines for a Monti Cap. I'm not being snotty I truly appreciate everyone's input/opinion......

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh,
You guys can't possibly tell this person with ANY degree of certainty what *species* of coral this is based on a picture. Ask a coral taxonomist if you like, skeletal examination is required to make an ID, and even then sometimes an ID simply just can't be made.

I suggest you read this article:
"However, given the dramatic variances, and a natural ability to be a "poster child" to illustrate morphological change, it is best to know these [Montipora] corals without any attempts at speciation... unless you are a very gifted taxonomist. "

http://www.aquarium.net/1196/1196_3.shtml

-JB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora capricornis
Colonies are flat plates in tiers or whorls, sometimes with columns, sometimes encrusting or forming irregularly contorted laminae

Montipora confusa
Colonies have an encrusting or laminar base, with irregular column-like branches.

Montipora confusa

Montipora capricornis

Still think it looks more like m. confusa

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chucker":2v32ng3m said:
A thought for the future... Try to make the ID and research what conditions the coral requires before purchase. Your critters will thank you in the long run.

Indeed. For instance, IIRC, there are a few deep-dwelling species that likely wouldn't appreciate very bright lighting, which would mean that the bright lights you cite wouldn't be so great.

kris4647

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are a few deep-dwelling species that likely wouldn't appreciate very bright lighting, which would mean that the bright lights you cite wouldn't be so great

Okay look, we can say pretty definitively that this coral, without regard to which of the two id's you side with, Likes light and lots of water movement. Both of these [postulated ID's] are endemic to shallow water regions and lagoons. Even if you did research you could merely narrow it down to a few diff species, [As this thread well shows!] which I did....

I stand by what I said; I appreciate everyone's opinion, but, GEEZ I really am looking for an specific identification from people who have more SPS experience than myself. Not a tank critique, there are people putting Ritteri's in a 30 long with NO lighting that you could talk to. :wink:

If you have a clownfish question let me know, thats my specialty. I appreciate everyone's help. JB those links were great Thank You!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: