Marty M

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an oversized black net and positioned it where the water blows it open. Throw some food into the net and wait for hunger to overcome caution. They only fall for it once, so maybe leave it in position until they both are in the net at the same time. I've caught three at once this way.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a common thing w/ yellow tangs? I understood that they were under all circumstances totally reef safe. Am I wrong? I also thought that many species of SPS only had polyp extension at night?

Anyone else w/ similar experiences?

E

Mac1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sailfin likes to chomp on the GSP's from time to time, and I've observed him nipping at the dead ends of SPS from time to time (I get a lot of frags, some grow algae on the broken off sections). Never really bothered the corals themselves however. What you might want to try, is feeding it more. IME, tangs will be completely docile on all counts, if they're allowed to gorge themselves until they almost burst. Throw a clip with some algae in there, and keep it full, and I'd be willing to bet you never see him near the corals again.

- Mac

TazzBear

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at allot of peoples tanks online and always see SPS polyps fully extended. I realize that not all Acropora extend their polyps during the day. I have about 50 or so SPS and only two have extended polyps, a P.damicornis and an A.tenius. I have been trying to figure out what was up and have adjusted lighting and the wavemaker. But none of this has made any difference. Of course with all this observation, I noticed my Yellow Tangs kept making rounds thru the tank. These suckers are chomping on the tips of the SPS's. Not from the side mind you, but down from the tops. Now most people say just catch them and get them out of there. Well, that is easier said then done. I finally had to put a cloth screen across the front of the tank and entice the fish into this contraption. I was able to catch 2 of them in 4 days. The two left in the tank (125) are continuing to nip the corals. I just don't know what to do. I feed these guys 3 or 4 times a day but they LOVE polyps. I had these guys to help with hair algae (which I have none of anymore) but I need to get these guys out without tearing the tank down. I really can't tear the tank down anyway. You can imagine with all of the SPS in here. So, does anyone have any suggestions? My A.yongi(s) take most of the eating's. They have not been able to grow for almost a year now. The other SPS continue to grow in spite of this, but not as fast as the frags in other tanks. The polyps are big and fleshy in these tanks and these are frags from the ones in the main tank that won't open. And they are open during the day so it is not a case of closed polyps during the day issue. If I could find a real small hook and bait, I just might go fishing. I have tried the acrylic trap but it did not work either. Electrocution, poison, dynamite, hhhmmmmm, I wonder?

TazzBear

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the tangs are smart little dudes. Most sps only extend their polyps at night as I stated earlier, but the tangs chew the tips down enough that there are NO polyps left. As for macro algea in my tank, NO WAY. That stuff is very invasive and can overcome a tank rather quickly. Also, if you trim the algea allot (which I have had to do) it releases a toxin into the water that the SPS do not like. I have about 30 pounds of Macro in my turf sump and I take this hugh mat out to trim it and let it sit in another unit for a couple days so the macro can heal and not release these toxins. I usually cut it in half and throw it away. To bad I can't put it in my compost heap. As for feeding, I feed 2 or 3 times a day. These guys are fat but I think the sps must be like chocolate to them. Another thing about having macro algae in the tank is they grow over openings in the rock work which slows the water flow down and that becomes an issue. Although it sure looks nice. I do put small rocks into the main tank that have macro on it so the tangs can eat it. They usually clean it up in a week or so and then I change out that rock with another one with macro on it. Works pretty good. I am thinking about getting a piece of plexiglass and standing it in a corner and trapping these tangs in there. I have figured out a way to pull the plexiglass closed after they get in it. Kinda funny to sit and watch TV with a piece of fishing line in your hand waiting for the fish to go into it. Of course, they hide unless there is food floating around and then their hunger overtakes their caution. Next time I have a problem with hair algae, I am just going to buy a bunch of hermits to fix this problem. I usually start getting hair when my RO needs to be changed out. And by the time the hair starts, it is to late to really stop the problem. Sure, I change out the RO immediately, but by the time you realize you have an algae bloom, it has not reached its peak yet. And before anyone tells me to buy something that absorbs the phosphates, those things never truly work. Just a bunch of money wasted. I think I will try the net/food idea first. I think this time I will use white fishnet. They won't go near green or black anymore. Haha

Mouse

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barbless hook on a piece of line and fish them out. When this was first suggested to me i thought it was cruel but if you think about the ammount of stress incurred in these week long catching episodes i wonder if this short sharp method (no punn intended) is actually more humane to BOTH participants. My only worry is that this method may not be suitable for tangs because of their mouths, but i have seen guys fishing when they have caught tangs and they just get thrown back, so i guess it should be allright. I would get a fishing guy to give the ok first though.
icon_wink.gif

I have also had bad luck with phosphate removal compounds but i have found that Roaphos works very well. Try it
icon_wink.gif

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Mouse ]</p>

ToddinAtl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this will help. I had to catch a trigger like this. Take a 2L plastic coke bottle...cut the top off to a size just large enough for the tang to go in...then cut the bottle again about 1/3 the way down..flip the top portion upside down and place in the bottom..put the algea covered food rock in the bottle..30 min and you should have a fish in a bottle

John 3:16

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lately, my clownfish has been nipping at my hydnophora sps. i thought tangs and clownfish were both reef safe.

TazzBear

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try the bottle first and then the hook. I can easily file off the barb on a hook but I imagine the Tangs won't be in to good of a condition. But as stated, the whole tank gets stressed when you are always futzing in it. That is unfortunate but the tangs are only $18 and the SPS are worth allot more. Most generally tangs, angels and clownfish are ok in these situations. I have owned many of them but it was one tang that started the others chewing on the SPS. So this one tang would be considered an exception to the rules. Don't get your panties in a pucker over this board and isolated incidents. Man, I can't imagine a clownfish eating a Hydnophora. My Pilosa Hydnophora is about a foot across and my clowns don't mess with it at all. Heck, I hate messing with it as well and it puts out some long stingers. Thanks again for all of the input.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: