• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marine_freak

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone my name is Shawn and I live in Lima, Ohio which is a small town between Dayton and Toledo. I have been in the hobby for about 10 years and have recently turned my attention to going with a sps tank. I have a 180 gallon Reef tank ( 72x24x24) with 250 lbs of live rock Tonga Kalleni, fiji, and Florida comprise most of it. The crushed coral bed is about 3". I have 3 250 watt HQI metal halides burning german 10k bulbs and 2 175 watt halides burning 20k bulbs. I also have 4 2ft VHO actinics over the tank which comprises approx 7 watts a gallon. I have a Korallin 3002 calc reactor, a Marine technical concept pro b protien skimmer and a Iwaki 100rlt running the whole show. My sump is 100 gallon custom acrylic sump. I have a blue tip table Acropora hyacinthus approx. 4"... a brownish pink cats paw Pocillopora eydouxi 7"-5"... and a very nice little Acropora Austera 4"... they are all about 5" from the water surface....... and in very high current. I keep my calcium at 480, alkalinity 4.5-4.8, Ph 8.0-8.3. I add Lugols Iodine 2 drops every other day and add 2cc of trace elements(Combisan). I plan on packing this guy with sps's I would appreciate any feedback from people who now have sps tanks.

Thanks,
Shawn

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shawn!
rdo_welcome.gif

Your setup sounds fantastic. The only thing that I think needs changing is the crushed coral substrate to fine aragonite sand. CC is not the best for dentrification nor is it the best habitat for most substrate-dwelling animals.

Instead of Combisan, I suggest you switch to C-balance. It's far better and complete then Combisan and will encourage SPS growth. I don't bother with iodine replacement anymore, but nothing wrong with doing so. Personally, I found it has no observable affects one way or another.

If you have pics, share them :) I'd love to see your tank. Mine can be found at www.reefscapes.net (sorry for the shameless plug).

Slow weekend here due to the holidays :)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your setup sounds very cool! The only thing I can suggest is to second Len's post--replace your sandbed with a live sand, fine grained substrate. Do you have any pictures of your tank you can post??

Ralphyhp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine_Freak, I second Len and Matt but the only thing you didnt mention is a RO/DI unit, this really helps on keeping a very healthy SPS coral Tank. The perfect subtrate for a DSB is Aragonite sand as Len mention, Crush Coral use to hide too much detritus on it and for consequence rice your NO3 levels and by the way, welcome aboard :wink: Ralphyhp

Attachments

• picture 070.jpg
    picture 070.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 527
  • picture 166.jpg
    picture 166.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 524
  • picture 160.jpg
    picture 160.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 525

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: