Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Picked up a 250 gallon tank(72x36x24) the other week. In the planning stages of what going to be doing. The weight of the tank, water, sand, and rock is going to be over 3000lbs. Have a family member I talked to says me and him can build one out of black piping. Saw the guy on YouTube who build one out of the galvanized pipe. Found that Lowe?s has the galvanized pipe but looks like largest they carry is 1 1/4? don?t know if that would be big enofe to hold that weight. Want to know what you guys think or have any knowledge about building one out of pipes. The reason y I?m doing it out of piping is it?s going to go in my basement would not be able to build one and get it threw the door, so want to be able to take apart to get in. Please let me know if u guys have any idea about this..

Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
That galvanized pipe will rust, no?
You can also carry 2'x6' down and build the stand in the basement, that is what I did with my stands that are in the basement.

Galvanized will rust but it will take a very very long time. I was playing with idea of wood but like the idea of pipe can get a lot more space under the tank to be able to work under the sand and store more stuff. My original plane wants cut all wood to size outside and bring down and build. I have no problem doing that, but as of now still in planning stage. Just want to see people thoughts. Hoping to get Tank up and running by the summer

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Galvanized will rust but it will take a very very long time. I was playing with idea of wood but like the idea of pipe can get a lot more space under the tank to be able to work under the sand and store more stuff. My original plane wants cut all wood to size outside and bring down and build. I have no problem doing that, but as of now still in planning stage. Just want to see people thoughts. Hoping to get Tank up and running by the summer

my 225 was held by a plywood stand built with finishing nails and held up for 10 years more or less and still up. The back is also just strips of plywood with a thin backboard to tie it. plywood's more than strong enough to hold a tank and is furniture grade. If you look at some of the 180, 220 aquarium stands made by the big manufactures are made with particle boards. How did you manage to get the tank in without a stand? its 36" wide? and 24" height? or 36" high? if it was 36" wide i get why the stand wont fit down the stairs. If you go with piping why not just have a steel stand welded?

Bulldog5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
It?s 36 wide so a welded stand will not for down stairs. Bought the Tank used with now stand its sitting in my garage. unless I get 2 stand welded to go down but the would probably have legs going down the middle of it. Build out of pipe if I ever sell the person buying it could also take the stand and not have to build something with it

Last edited:

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It?s 36 wide so a welded stand will not for down stairs. Bought the Tank used with now stand its sitting in my garage. unless I get 2 stand welded to go down but the would probably have legs going down the middle of it. Build out of pipe if I ever sell the person buying it could also take the stand and not have to build something with it

if you have steel stand in garage cut it and reweld?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: