A

Anonymous

I have white starfish the size of a dime that appear to be eating my zoo polyps. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with them?

A

Anonymous

sounds like an Asternia Starfish- pull it and any others you see and flush them- not reef safe and they breed like plague rats.

trust me- more often than no, if you have one, you have ten, you just havent seen them yet.

A

Anonymous

Asternia's are usually reef safe, but apparently yours are not. After removing the ones that you see now, make sure you look for them at night witha flashlight.

A

Anonymous

There MANY species of asterina starfish, some are safe some aren't. If you're sure that it's the starfish eating your polyps, and not something else with the starfish simply consuming the rotting leftovers, you can try to remove them, but as budha mentioned, you probably have so many more you don't know about.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some of the bad asterina stars, you are in bad shape. They can spread pretty quickly and hid well so it is very hard to control them. If you are sure it is the starfish, I would highly suggest gettng a Harlequin shrimp or even a pair of them. They eat the tube feet of normal star fish. So if you go this route you can not keep any linka or fromia stars.

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kgross":xakefm3j said:
If you have some of the bad asterina stars, you are in bad shape. They can spread pretty quickly and hid well so it is very hard to control them. If you are sure it is the starfish, I would highly suggest gettng a Harlequin shrimp or even a pair of them. They eat the tube feet of normal star fish. So if you go this route you can not keep any linka or fromia stars.

Kim

The LFS just got in some very nice harlequin shrimp. I have a small flame hawk. Do you think he will be any trouble for the shrimp?

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question sir.

Do you think the hawk can eat the shrimp in one bite? Normally from what I have seen, a well feed hawk will only normally eat shrimp that are small enough to be eaten in one bite. But at any time if the hawk gets hungry.....

I would have to suggest to try and find a home for the hawk for a few months to let the shrimp do their job.

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kgross":2f0smgnq said:
Good question sir.

Do you think the hawk can eat the shrimp in one bite? Normally from what I have seen, a well feed hawk will only normally eat shrimp that are small enough to be eaten in one bite. But at any time if the hawk gets hungry.....

I would have to suggest to try and find a home for the hawk for a few months to let the shrimp do their job.

Kim

He is fat happy and well fed. I think a harlequin shrimp would be about the same size as him. I will go pick them up today. Thanks for the tips.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: