A

Anonymous

I have at least 5-6 of these guys in one rock in my nano that apparently hitchhiked in at some point. When I first noticed them they were tiny, legs like dental floss but as you can see they are growing. They are some kind of brittlestar I think, any ideas on how big they are going to get and should I be worried they will climb out of the tank and strangle me one night in my sleep 8O

Seriously, I have so many of them I'm getting a bit worried so any ID ideas? Sorry for the crappy pic, but they are seldomly that visible and I took it without cleaning the glass. The chalice frag they are under in the pic is on a 1.5" frag plug for scale.

Attachments

• IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 404

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not completely sure, but it looks like the one I have. I have one or two as hitchhikers when I first got my live rock. They never grew much bigger than what yours are now and nothing important has ever gone missing.

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about them. I have some tanks with thousands of them in it. They will grow to about 1.25 to 1.5 inches in diameter. They are just scavengers like the larger ones ( only they don't get big enough to ever catch a fish).

Kim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would take literally THOUSANDS of them to strangle you in your sleep.

A few hundred can crawl in your mouth and block your airway while you sleep though...

Unfortunately for you, I think the common name for the species you have in your tank is the "Teamwork Star".

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:shock: cantsleepstarfishwilleatmecantsleepstarfishwilleatme cantsleepstarfishwilleatme cantsleepstarfishwilleatme

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, but again, with your luck, they'll also be union and refuse to do anything until they get a fat contract. ;)

SlipperMan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini or micro brittle stars, whatever people are calling them.

I have quite a few in my tanks as well and welcome them.

At the last frag swap I attended, I kid you not, people were selling them for $1 each.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: