skylersdad

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, can you please tell me what you think are THE BEST equipment in the following catogories. also, are there manufactures to avoid at all costs (berlin skimmers?) they will be on a new 120gal reef (sps) tank

MH balast
MH bulbs
Skimmer
calcium reactor
pumps

thank you very much

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya :)

:welcome:

You're going to get a lot of opinions.

I like Lumatek MH ballasts myself. Most electronics out there work well IMO.

Bulbs ... there will be a zillion different opinions ;) It really depends on what specific SPS you plan to keep, and whether you value color or growth. Dana Riddle just published an article in www.advancedaquarist.com that found the Ushio HIT 20K to be one of the best growth bulbs out there. But it might not color up the corals the way you want.

Skimmer opinions will vary too, and there are a lot of new designs coming out every year. Top brands include Deltec, Bubble King, ATB, et al. The skimmer thread sticky'ed in this forum is a good place to take a look at skimmer eye candy.

Most ca reactors work well these days. I like my Deltec a lot. When it comes to ca reactors, I want one that is easy to service. The Deltec has a twist-off top, so that wins big points for me.

Pumps, again, is highly subjective and dependent on what criteria is important to you. I use Iwakis and Panworlds as my workhorse pumps ... they are reasonably quiet and more importantly, totally reliable. If high flow and low noise matters, Sequence pumps are popular, Red Dragon pumps are respected for their output and low noise are but very pricey.

The brands I'd stay way from due to bad experience are Rio and Sunburst bulbs.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH balast Well if you are set on MH...then I would go Ice cap
MH bulbs I like Radiums.
Skimmer Bubble King I use a mini 200
calcium reactor I still like the Schuran Jetstreams but not sure where they are available anymore
pumps- well external I would say panworlds, internal Eheim.

Hyolee

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH ballast: Icecap
MH Bulb: Reeflux 10k, 12k, XM 10k, 20k, Radium 20k
Skimmer: ATB large cone ... you said no budget restraint :wink:
Calcium reactor: Geo 618
Pump: Red Dragon 6000

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha ya.. you'll get a LOT of opinons.

also, dont assume that MH is the best for your application. Serously check out ATI Powermodules or even Aquatinics Constellation T5 fixtures.

Skimmers and reactors? There are a ton, basically they are tubes that cycle water through them. You can play this card as simply or as expensive and complex as you'd like.

The best price point skimmer IMO is the EuroReef, of course some will disagree.

You generally get what you pay for in this hobby... GENERALLY

Jimmy G

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the feeling you may be in for a little sticker shock when you see what the "Best" equipment is going to cost you 8O I'd suggest you get yourself some "good" equipment, do your research and take it slow.

The best advice I can give you is to buy things once. Know beforehand what kind of Livestock you want to keep and buy equipment(lights in particular) accordingly.

Good luck and welcome.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the previous poster btw :)

IMO no sense spending $2,500 or MORE on a skimmer for a 120g tank and just as much or probably a good bit MORE for the lights ALONE haha.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: