Raed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I want to get back to the hobby, I used to have the attached tank 6 years ago and had to give it up for overseas work transfer.

There used to be a good store nearby on Steinway St. in Astoria called Wonderful World of Fish which closed unfortunately. Where do my fellow Astoria hobbyists shop? any good professional stores nearby? new websites?

I feel that since I left the hobby, there have been a lot of new technology and changes with the set ups and especially with the LED lighting. I used to have metal halides which I loved but produced a lot of heat. I would probably be interested in starting a set up in the 40-75 gallon range, something that is compact with clean/modern aesthetic where everything is hidden in the cabinet. More of a reef set up mix of soft and hard corals. Also looking to make friends with other reef enthusiasts in Astoria.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Raed

Attachments

• 6.8.08.jpg
    6.8.08.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 172

Raed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Look at those redsea reef setups they have everything built in and in a cabinet clean looking set ups

Great thanks. I watched a couple of vids on youtube but it seems that they are only using T5 lighting, isn't this old school now? is everyone shifting to LED's at this point? do you get better growth and coloring using LED's?

imcrazyy0

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was only answering your comment about t 5 are old news . If you go with t5 or mhl it makes par all over the tank and if you go LEDs you need to place the rock/ corals right under the LEDs all three type work and grow coral

Raed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I go to Kessina aquarium in flushing 10 min away price and help a big ++++

Went to Kessina Aquariums store today, they were helpful and their live stock looked healthy, thank you for the recommendation.
I'm leaning towards the Red Sea Reefer, that's their new set up that is will be out in the market soon. The set up doesn't come with the lighting though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: