• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
I just got shocked pretty badly by the saltwater in my tank. I believe it may be electricity running through the tank - almost certain that is it. It seems to go away for the most part when I take off the heater. I tried two different heaters to make sure they were not faulty.

Never experienced this before, so I'm a bit confused on what to do next. Would love to hear anyone's advice and/or experiences.

Coinzmans reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can measure the current in your tank with a volt meter. Find directions on YouTube. Than shut off one thing at a time to figure out the culprit. But all equipment puts a small charge intoo our tanks as you will see. I use a $25 ground probe in all my tanks, after that your tank will read 0
you should replace anything that SPIKES the current up.

Coinzmans reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am no electrician and I am not sure why this happens so any electricians want to chime in it would be appreciated.
After testing tank for Stray Voltage I installed a ground probe and was instructed to use a GFCI.
The problem is when we loose power the GFCI trips and has to be rest manually.
Not great if I am in the Bahamas.
My fix, eliminate the expensive EXTERNAL GFCI.
If memory serves me, we need the GFCI for obvious reasons but adding the ground probe made it that much more necessary?

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
So I am no electrician and I am not sure why this happens so any electricians want to chime in it would be appreciated.
After testing tank for Stray Voltage I installed a ground probe and was instructed to use a GFCI.
The problem is when we loose power the GFCI trips and has to be rest manually.
Not great if I am in the Bahamas.
My fix, eliminate the expensive EXTERNAL GFCI.
If memory serves me, we need the GFCI for obvious reasons but adding the ground probe made it that much more necessary?
I got an automatic reset adapter. I haven’t done extensive research, but I believe the ground probe doesn’t work as effectively without the GFCI. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: