Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello! Would like to add a skimmer to my reef system and am looking for suggestions since I know very little about them (skimmers).

Requirements:
1) Needs to be in sump or hang-on-back of sump
2) must be quiet
3) must not introduce microbubbles to display tank

Price is unimportant but would prefer to spend less than $200.

My set-up:
12g Fluval Edge with Aqueon Proflex model 3 sump/refugium (20.4g) with extra LED lights
Running since: January 2012

Livestock:
-1 false percula clownfish
-1 orchid dottyback
-3 trochan snails
-5 blue leg hermit crabs
-1 green star polyp frag
-1 blastomussa wellsi/pineapple coral frag
-2 button polyp frags
-5 zooanthid frags
-1 favia

The sump is set-up as a refugium and contains chaetomorpha algae.

I would really appreciate suggestions regarding a good skimmer that would work with my sump/refugium, given that the return chamber is the one intended by Aqeuon (apparently) to house an in-sump skimmer.

Thanks!

Dan

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It doesn't have to be HOB and I'd probably rather have an in-sump. The dimensions available are 8'' x 13'' but I'd like to have a small return pump in the chamber too...

Thanks to all those who have responded (including via personal messages) so far!

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
People really PM skimmer suggestions? :lol2:

Which did you end up with? I just re-read your post and saw you have a 12gallon tank. IMO you don't need much of a skimmer for that sized tank.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm sure you are right regarding not needing to skim a 12g tank but I'm planning to upgrade to maybe a 40 or 50g. I ended up with a Reef Octopus NWB 110 and am expecting it to arrive today. Will let you all know if I manage to collect any skimmate!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: