Galvan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
want to upgrade from a wet/dry to a sump or refugium. Not sure what I should do. My tank is 75gal reef ready and I have 6 animals and 4 corals. My goal is to get a nice protein skimmer because the one I have now is worthless and up grade to sump or refugium and have the protein skimmer in sump and return pump in sump.
Is there a way to get the skimmer and return pump into a Refugium that is I should go this way. apprecaite your input.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to am upgrading from a wet dry.

For me personally I am going with a refugium beacuase it seems more natural. I like the fact of having macro algae that eat trate from the water. Plus it provides a breeding ground for pods. Of course I will still have plenty of room for my skimmer and pumps.

Just a sump to me is just a place to put my stuff more or less. I just see more benefits of having the refugium, personaly.

cindre2000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what you do it you get some sort of container (glass aquariums are very common) that will fit in the sump/refugium spot. You then silicone/glue some glass to partition it. So- the water pours into the sumps first "chamber". This chamber has a protien skimmer. It then overflows into the second chamber: the refugium with some rock/sand and algae (and a cheap light of course). It then goes through baffles to reach the final chamber with the return pump.

For more detail ask for help in the DIY forum.

Attachments

• sump.JPG
    sump.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 472

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: