ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Okay, so Sun-Brite Lighting a brand new company (China Based) has been causing some hype so I thought I would share what I know and also see if anyone else has opinions or more info.

After discussions with Timothy Tam at Exotic Aquariums in CA, I'm leaning towards picking up a 72" unit for my new tank. Lets get into a Pros/Cons breakdown.

Pros:

1. Power consumption. I won't type all of the technical info here, rather here's the link to see it yourself

http://www.exotic-aquarium.com/sub/datachart.jpg

For an 8 bulb fixture (48") the total watt consumption is 130W.

2. Par Output. HQI will output a higher PAR value towards the top of your tank but will rapidly diminish as you get deeper. The 130W 8 bulb (48") fixure will output a Par value of 800 at the surface and approx. 600 at 4" deep compared to a 400W HQI (1-bulb) at 300 4" down. Amazingly, at 10" below surface, your readings still stay around the 400's whereas HQI will drop to 200.

3. Cost. The total cost of a 72" fixture with 8 bulbs (2 460nm, 2 440nm, 1 12K, 2 16K, 1 22K) would be $1956 before shipping. Here's the price breakdown.

72" Fixture w/ built in digital timer $260 ea.
72" Actinic bulbs (440nm & 460nm) $220 ea.
72" Daylight bulbs (12K, 16K, 22K) $205 ea.

Compared to a decent 400W HQI 72" fixture which will run you about $1000 (unless your going premium with a geisemann or something) its double. But you have to figure the energy savings in 1 year alone will be around $240. On top of that you need to replace the bulbs (all 3) every year for around $150. Thats $400 per year of cost. The LEDs are rated to last 50,000 hrs before significant quality dropoff. Thats 17 years of 8hr/day use. You would make up your cost difference in 2 years.

4. Heat. None. That would also save you the cost of a chiller or fans running. You are also giving your tank a stable temp. without fluctuation.

5. No noise. The fans on a 3 bulb 400W HQI fixture sometimes sounds like a highway through your living room.

6. Retrofit. You can save the cost of purchasing the fixture by retrofitting the bulbs just like VHO bulbs.

Here are some Cons:

1. Warranty. Although Sun-Brite Lighting has a 2 year warranty on the products, what happens if these bulbs die after that? They are rated for 50,000 hours but will they really last that long? PFO's Solaris was reported to have bulbs malfunction quite often. Will the same happen here?

2. Not as loaded with goodies. We all know that LED's are geared perfectly for dimmability. That means to be able to control the lights 0-100% power output. Unfortunately, Sun-Brite has not created a controller as complex as PFO. Hence, no simulated cloud cover, moon cycles, real sunrise & sunset. The digital timer controller that comes on the fixture will however turn each individual bulb on and off on a set cycle. For those interested in DIY dimming of the bulbs, it can definitely be done but your warranty will be void.

3. Possible Lawsuit. Orbitel just defeated PFO. I'm not sure if this is the same technology as Sun Brite's bulbs are actually LED's within tubes. But if it does go to court, you may also loose any future support with the fixture. Maybe a loop hole if this company is China based?

4. Out of Pocket Cost. Come'on...we're in the reefing hobby. If you don't have a little money, you shouldn't be in it. Don't go to Vegas if you only have $100 in your name.

Well, I should be ordering my light in June. I will post a review and keep updating my tank status. If there is any more info on this product, I would love to hear from you people.

Here are a few links for info:

http://www.exotic-aquarium.com/led.html
http://www.exotic-aquarium.com/sub/datachart.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0zWVIwwaI

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here's the answer from Tim: The LED's are independent of each other within the tube so if one goes out, it will not affect the others. The 2 year warranty covers all parts so if 1 LED goes out, they will replace the entire bulb.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Wingo, I looked at your thread and I have some questions about your fixture.

How is your power controlled, is the fixture dimmable?

Most importantly, what is the par readings at surface, 4", and 20"?

Are you offering a warranty with your fixture? All of these LEDs are rated up to 50,000 hours but that doesnt really mean anything if none of them hold up for that long.

Does your fixture have actinic colored LEDs?

Thanks, if your fixture is comparable, then I would definitely get one from you!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hey Wingo, I looked at your thread and I have some questions about your fixture.

How is your power controlled, is the fixture dimmable?

Most importantly, what is the par readings at surface, 4", and 20"?

Are you offering a warranty with your fixture? All of these LEDs are rated up to 50,000 hours but that doesnt really mean anything if none of them hold up for that long.

Does your fixture have actinic colored LEDs?

Thanks, if your fixture is comparable, then I would definitely get one from you!

I am not sure which thread you read. I sell 3 types of LED Systems.
1)Moonlight
2)LED Power Actinics. I have couple on display in Manhattan and Brooklyn LFS.
3)Mainlight-this includes the (A)SolarPod which does not generally come with actinics nor dimmer. You can ask Caad3 for reference. (B)DMX controlled WingoLED Systems which includes dimming capability and you can even control it with you computer to do whatever creative thing with it. It has daylight and actinics custom to your request. A 96W DMX version can be found here. for a 90G system.

I tried to reply you the other day but some how we cannot get in touch.
It's best to call me sometime this week(except Friday)
347 739 2411. I can guide you thru my older site and answer your questions

Of course, I offer std manufacturer's 1 yr warranty on all my products.

As for the par readings, it would be best you can wait for my web is up. Expecting sometime next week. Or, I can setup a special test for you with my SolarPod5 50W this Sat/Sun

SolorPod and Fixture
SolarPod_and_Fixture_P1070741_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Oh, this is the same one I traded from a Caad3 to compare for the swap with knowledge they are already in bad shape first month with him. All three died within the first 2 1/2 months.

Note: I also have one of my clients with my LED goes bad twice as I have over pushed it at the beginning.
HAHHAHA

I am so happy to find out that the second time MY light came back is only due to the client's over sensitive towards the cooling fan turning and shutting down too fast. The light did not malfunction after I put back to the std rating.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: