eskymick

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep this in mind when considering a ballast ....

I have a Sunlight Supply 400w Galaxy electronic ballast. It was purchased new from a reputable online vendor in March or '09. I have the invoice. The unit was not initially used, but was put into service in November of '09. For several months the ballast worked perfectly. Then, about a month ago, it began to flicker and dim. I phoned Sunlight Supply and described the problem and they told me that such symptoms were indicative of a problem with the ballast.

Since this product is advertised as having a 5-year warranty, I asked about return for repair or replacement. I was told to work through the original vendor to obtain a RMA number. The vendor obtained the RMA request form and sent it to me. I immediately filled it out and faxed it to Sunlight Supply. That same afternoon, the vendor e-mailed me to say that Sunlight Supply denied the request for warranty because the unit was manufactured in 2007. Call me stupid, but by my calculations 2007 to 2010 falls within the 5-year warranty time period. In fact, by Sunlight Supply's own admission, the serial number of 03012007400072 indicates to them that the unit was manufactured in March of '07.

Another request for RMA was submitted. This time including the receipt of purchase and the explanation that I was aware of the date of manufacture "coding" in their serial number. Sunlight Supply did not even give me the "courtesy" of a reply.

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let your vendor deal directly with Sunlight Supply, we sell a lot of SS products and have always handled repairs/returns directly with SS for the customer. This is the reason why the RMA have to be requested by the vendor. But it is strange SS would reject the claim since the ballast hasn’t even been around for five year. Logically no claim should be rejected at this point.

Have your vendor call them directly...

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Raskal.

FYI: Sunlight's warranty is actually 3 years, with 2 additional years of "prorated warranty" (whatever that means). Still, they should accommodate you based on the circumstance, and your dealer should be able to help you out here; Part of the problem here is the dealer's stock rotation (selling 2-3 year old merchandise).

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

But I also don't think that the shelf-time at the vendor should matter to the end user. The warranty period should begin at the time of retail sale and should have nothing to do w/ when the ballast was manufactured. I'm sure SS would agree.

It's not the customer's fault that the retail store has low turnover ;-)

Cheers
James

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried electronic Ballast twice both with IceCap. Both of my ballast working after two years. I know this was way back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Since then I always trusted my magnetic ballast and stick with this. It may be less efficient but always work with virtually no chance of it stop working. I also have a electronic ballast with my Orbit unit. I have to send it back twice before I got one that work fine. Knock on wood, It still working after 3 years.
I think you it would be difficult for you to find someone with a mal-function magnetic ballast.
Good luck with your's.
I got two magnetic HQI 400W ballast I am not using. I am going to Houston this weekend. Do you want me to bring it to Houston so you can use it for your tank? You will have to do some wiring before it can be use.

Minh Nguyen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night being 1/2 sleep I misreaded this thread. Somehow I thought that it was James having problem with his ballast. :oops:

jamesw

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice of you though Minh. Hopefully you can stop by anyway and we can catch up :) You have to see my "new" ritteri. About 1 month in the aquarium. Still no clowns as sarah wants me to buy local captive bred only.

Cheers
James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: