B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I was looking to replace the Innovative Marine Protein Skimmer because it looked like such an eyesore in the new aquarium. At this point I am not interested in running a sump on the system. So I purchased a Reef Octopus BH-2000 Hang On Back Protein Skimmer from Reef Specialty a few days ago. Unfortunately, I was told it would be shipped the same day or the next day. Well three days later it still wasn't shipped. I called to get an inquiry on shipping and each time I called I was told I had to submit an email to find out about the status of the order and with each call I received an annoyed tone. So I reached out to Russ of Saltwater Critters and he assisted me with no issues. So I purchased a Super Reef Octopus LX-1000S Hang On Back Protein Skimmer and picked it up from him in person. He is definitely an awesome guy and I found where I will be purchasing the rest of my equipment from.

My first thoughts is that this thing is huge and built solid. I actually had to move my aquarium up away from the wall in order to properly accommodate it. And even then I wasn't sure if it was going to fit on the aquarium properly. But thankfully it did. Just to put it in perspective my kitchen table can fit 8 well sized adults with no issues. Also when priming the unit I filled it with over 1.5 gallons of saltwater just to get the priming started properly.

I am glad that I was able to fit it in without having to reconstruct any of the aquascaping within the aquarium. But I have to say for such a large protein skimmer my first thoughts are this thin is SILENT! And I have not seen a single micro bubble enter the aquarium. Also after minutes of operation I have never seen a such texture coming up the tube into the collection cup. I don't think I have every used the word frothy to describe the bubble production up the tube of a protein Skimmer. I have to say I am quite pleased with this protein skimmer.

B1N4RY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Super Reef Octopus LX-1000S Hang On Back Protein Skimmer Update.

My system has been doing very well in terms of overall water quality. But since my last outbreak I don't have any fish. Just a bunch of inverts running around my aquarium. Since that I only feed the corals and the few inverts I have once a week with a single cube of Hikari Baby Brine Shrimp and a few drops Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast. The skimmer seems to be doing well.

One weeks worth of skimmate collection from my aquarium.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: