smallreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anyone else experience this with Super Reef Octopus using the HY-1000 bubble blaster?

Every time I turn on the skimmer after around 30 seconds it starts a loud hum noise / vibration. I can here throughout my apartment. Been using this skimmer for a couple of months the loud noise is driving me crazy.

See video below, noise starts to come in around the 30 second mark. Always wanted a reef octopus skimmer, regretting the purchase.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgj5xagspfz1if7/IMG_6787.MOV?dl=0

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
# 1 i think you have wrong Skimmer water level ( check the manual , may be list 6 to 8 inch in to the water)
# 2 after adjust the bad of the skimmer ( according w/manual) increase the water level up to the neck of the Skimmer ( you shut see " water level", you a way LOW) use the red gate valve.
# 3 use a piece of thin sponge under pump, like the anther member mention, to place the pump on egg create , is almost impossible , she must have some ( 4 ) rubber bummers to avoid the vibration ( doing nothing , you may damage the pump) .

smallreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
the skimmer is in 5.5-5.75 inches water which is what the manual calls for. I've adjusted the red gate valve which fine tunes the skimmer, this has had no effect on the noise. There is rubber underneath the pump as well as underneath the egg crate and the pump has the 4 rubber bumbers attached.

Nothing has helped. The skimmer is quieter for first 15 or so seconds then loud hum / vibration noise kicks in.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Take the pump out and leave in vinegar bath overnight. Next day take out impeller and inspect closely. Also check cavity where impeller sits inside. Check impeller magnet for cracks or swelling.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
the skimmer is in 5.5-5.75 inches water which is what the manual calls for. I've adjusted the red gate valve which fine tunes the skimmer, this has had no effect on the noise. There is rubber underneath the pump as well as underneath the egg crate and the pump has the 4 rubber bumbers attached.

Nothing has helped. The skimmer is quieter for first 15 or so seconds then loud hum / vibration noise kicks in.

Then, you have to remove the pump, inspect, clean and put back, there is a reason , why the water , wont go up to the neck ?!

I see some Macro Algae ( Chaetto) next to the pump, may clog the pup ?!

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, check the impeller, mine gets clogged with chaeto all the time. I've had two, the 150int and now a 220int and both have been awesome. If you don't get anywhere, give their support a call. I've had 3 incidents with them and all three times they've made me a very happy customer, so don't write it off yet. Their support is half the reason I keep buying their stuff.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: