Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shelled out the money for my yearly replacement bulbs for my light hood a couple weeks ago (150W x2 plus 96W actinic PC x2). My wife, who is being laid off in a few months, had a harder time with than in the past. I can't say I blame her...

Meanwhile, in the 6 years I've been at this, I've come to realize I don't really have the time, energy and money for the more sensitive stuff that requires the mega-lights. So, I have been considering an eventual downgrade to a small, 4 bulb T-5 fixture.

Benefits: Less electricity_______Less heat (I have a fan blowing on it to keep my tank from overheating)
Less evaporation due to less heat _______ As low as $11 per replacement bulb with the whole fixture costing what I paid for bulbs this year.

Cost: Limitations to the critters I can keep

I'm guessing if I do this, the corals I have now will have to be traded in. I might do something like fish only with mushrooms or maybe some other simple softies if I can. What all would tolerate the lower lights?

Attachments

• IMG_1348_2.jpg
    IMG_1348_2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 182

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all the corals I see in the picture would be fine under 4 bulb T5 option. I would use 3 ATI Blue Plus and one ATI aquablue special.

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
492W system down to a 219W system: Does that not mean the same thing when talking about T5s? Or are my cheapy corals just not that demanding?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'd be fine going to T5s as well. 150W halides aren't really all that bright, so you won't notice a huge decrease in lighting. Most of your corals aren't too light demanding, so it makes the transition easier.

BTW, That is a really lovely tank/aquascape.

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":q2pvzfhl said:
BTW, That is a really lovely tank/aquascape.

Thanks, I got inspiration from a previous post involving a 500 gallon tank. Unlike his thorite glued towers, the only thing holding mine up are luck and faith.

I've noticed a few tanks recently here with low poundage rock work in intricate designs (mine is 50 lbs max for my 75gal). I guess the old "at least 1 lb per gallon" thing is going away?

Brian5000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(4 lbs per gallon) x (75 gallon tank) x ($6 per pound) = $1,800 for 300 lbs of live rock 8O

I can't even imagine that...Where do the fish swim?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: