albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Luckily, I was home Sunday, when I smelled an electrical burn..ran around the house, saw nothing , checked basement and garage, nothing, back upstairs, and saw flames inside hood of my 130G tank in my living room. T5's shorted out (?), melted socket, burned wires, reflector slowed burn on wooden hood, but FOR SURE, house could have burned, if I wasn't there!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Strange look like it got started at the endcaps
I think so ,too, never a problem or short, but looks like the 1 bulb/endcap shorted out and overheated...I don't think it was on fire, the first time I ran by it, when I came up from the basement, I saw the flames, so I was at the right place, at the right time (for once)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
this is exactly why I wanted Chief to stop by and check for fire hazards!

VERY glad to hear you and your family are all fine. Also very sorry to hear about the incident at all. Please be aware that if Chief did his inspection, unless he was specifically inspecting the wiring of your endcaps in your fixture, he would NOT have found a fire hazard (actually, THAT particular fire hazard).

The likelihood of chief finding any issues would have been limited to overloaded circuits or outlets (mostly outlets since he really wouldn't check the load on an entire circuit). He'd look for curtains or other flammables caught in plugs in outlets, gas cans, propane tanks and other improperly stored spontaneous combustibles (gas/oil soaked rags). Pilot lights that aren't lit, frayed wires, etc.

Point is, you had an angel overseeing you and your family that day. I'm glad it is resolved......I'm assuming you are trashing the T5 fixture. BTW, what fixture was it?

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: