Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a 4 bulb T5 fixture that requires me to attach the power cord. I'm not horribly aorried about doing so but before i drop $100 on bulbs i would like to verify functionality. Can I purchase a single regular household T5 bulb and test it in the 4 different positions without it popping it? From wiring diagrams online they arent all linked in a serial circuit that 4 bulbs are needed to work but figured I'd ask first.

Cave Dweller

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No one has ever tried this I'm guessing? I mean I can stop at Home Depot and give it a shot. Worst case scenario I blow out a $10 bulb but don't want it to damage anything else. Haven't cracked it open to see how they are all wired if they each have their own connections to the ballast or if they are 2 sets of wires split among the 4 sockets.

viplok

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
i suggest you pop it open and see how the ballast is set up. in a 4 bulb fixture its very common they link 2 bulb to 1 ballast and might require two bulb in order to fire the ballast.

i highly doubt it will blow out the bulb.

try to look for GE 6500k which some reefer use to light their tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: