cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I am currently feeding purina one pro plan. I am thinking about switching Neo to something else. Reading reviews is like listening to recommendations from non-renegades (j/k). Hopefully someone here can recommend some quality dry food for my buddy.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I feed "Halo: Spot's Stew". Great stuff!!! Best food I've found by far!

High quality ingredients and very little filler/crap.
I feed the chicken, turkey and grain free flavors, with an occasional seafood medley, or whatever the flavor is called.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Jeff,

Hes doing well. Here are some not so great shots:

20141120_011014_zps04242aa5.jpg

20141202_012620_zps9ad15d50.jpg

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Look whats coming home soon...

SHAK1_S_SM_2a_zpsgkwj84vn.jpg

SHAK1_S_SM_2c_zpsd3q2u6kc.jpg

SHAK1_S_SM_2b_zpsbmlt9cxi.jpg

Btw a fellow reefer picked me up some Morigins (http://www.morigins.com/) food to try.

Right now Neo is eating the following:

Dry - Solid Gold Indigo Moon with Peas, Chicken & Eggs Grain-Free Dry Cat Food

Wet - Nature's Variety Instinct Grain-Free Rabbit Formula Canned Cat Food

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Hey there. Hit me up for questions, PM me if you don't have my number.

Be careful with raw food. It is usually unbalanced (despite what a random company says) and carries the same risks (bacteria) as if you or I would eat straight raw food. If he's doing well on the food he's been on previously, I'd stay stick with that (though I don't love Solid Gold as a company in general). There will always be another food to try and another person with a recommendation.

It ends up coming down to what they like, what keeps their stool firm and weight good. Don't forget, one of the most important parts of feeding indoor cats is to make it interesting. Change the location, amount, out of toys, puzzles, different heights, etc. Just never out of a bowl in the same location at the same time everyday.

Chefjpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I'm going through an issue with foods as well. My cat keeps having stool / gland problems.

I've been adding a little pumpkin pur?e to his mix of dry & wet.
Needless to say I'm in search of a new vet in Queens asap.

Beautiful kitty's

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Beautiful cats everyone.

As a vet I get asked which food should I feed my pet at least 15+ times a day. Basically whatever food you can consistently get. I personally feed Purina One to my cats. The ONLY reason is because if i run out of food and i have to get it after work and I'm stuck doing an emergency surgery i might not get out of the hospital until 2-3am. I know i can go to most 24 hour grocery stores and pick it up.

Ive given several lectures on different foods and different companies. Prescription and over the counter diets.

As for raw diets they are in style right now. I don't for the life of me understand why. A lot of veterinarians will NOT treat certain pets for certain diseases if they are eating a raw diet. For example, if your pets eating a raw diet and is diagnosed with an immune mediated disease you treat them with steroids, you can cause an abnormal shift in gastrointestinal bacteria. As mentioned before E. coli, Salmonella... I have a lot of clients that do feed raw and it works great and others which have had a problem. My biggest concern is when your pet eats raw food and then you pet or play with him/her and then touch your face or eat something your exposing yourself to those bacteria.

As Ducati said (by the way Xenias and kenyas i picked up from you like a year ago are doing great) canned food is ideal for optimal health. Every cat is dehydrated all the time. Usually its not clinically significant. They aren't like a dog who will constantly drink. A lot of cats will hardly drink at all. One of my cats I've only seen drink twice in 3 years. Unfortunately most (75%+) of my senior cats are being treated for some degree of kidney disease. Kidney disease is a disease which is not treatable. I can never correct it but only prolong the disease.

I do sell certain prescription diets. I personally hate selling foods because it goes against my first rule. Something you can consistently get. I don't want people going out of their way to come to the vet to get food. I would rather you go to Petco, Petsmart, Pet Warehouse, Pet... They are everywhere and have better hours then most animal hospitals.

I really like Halo which rookie07 mentioned for my early kidney patients because it does have a very low protein content for the over the counter diets.

There is going to be a lot of changes in the next year as AAFCO and FDA starts to changes it regulations on dog and cat foods.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Beautiful cats everyone.

As a vet I get asked which food should I feed my pet at least 15+ times a day. Basically whatever food you can consistently get. I personally feed Purina One to my cats. The ONLY reason is because if i run out of food and i have to get it after work and I'm stuck doing an emergency surgery i might not get out of the hospital until 2-3am. I know i can go to most 24 hour grocery stores and pick it up.

Ive given several lectures on different foods and different companies. Prescription and over the counter diets.

As for raw diets they are in style right now. I don't for the life of me understand why. A lot of veterinarians will NOT treat certain pets for certain diseases if they are eating a raw diet. For example, if your pets eating a raw diet and is diagnosed with an immune mediated disease you treat them with steroids, you can cause an abnormal shift in gastrointestinal bacteria. As mentioned before E. coli, Salmonella... I have a lot of clients that do feed raw and it works great and others which have had a problem. My biggest concern is when your pet eats raw food and then you pet or play with him/her and then touch your face or eat something your exposing yourself to those bacteria.

As Ducati said (by the way Xenias and kenyas i picked up from you like a year ago are doing great) canned food is ideal for optimal health. Every cat is dehydrated all the time. Usually its not clinically significant. They aren't like a dog who will constantly drink. A lot of cats will hardly drink at all. One of my cats I've only seen drink twice in 3 years. Unfortunately most (75%+) of my senior cats are being treated for some degree of kidney disease. Kidney disease is a disease which is not treatable. I can never correct it but only prolong the disease.

I do sell certain prescription diets. I personally hate selling foods because it goes against my first rule. Something you can consistently get. I don't want people going out of their way to come to the vet to get food. I would rather you go to Petco, Petsmart, Pet Warehouse, Pet... They are everywhere and have better hours then most animal hospitals.

I really like Halo which rookie07 mentioned for my early kidney patients because it does have a very low protein content for the over the counter diets.

There is going to be a lot of changes in the next year as AAFCO and FDA starts to changes it regulations on dog and cat foods.

Btw beautiful cat to op. Happy to hear the corals are doing well! You have to come check out the tank when you can.. My wild bengal cat drinks so much damn water .. I got him checked out and they said he's Normal, idk.. He def is a lot of work but a great cat.. I feed then a canned grain free.. I do feed a dry food as well that's grain free.. Not too much.. This cat can eat half a lb of meat a day. Ugh

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: