Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Today it is snowing and I have to stay home to wait for someone so I decided to clean and re aquascape the tank. No matter how nice you aquascape, in a couple of years the rocks tend to fall and fill in places that you would like to be kept clear. Out of my 4 diatom filters I managed to switch parts and get two of them working.
I removed about a third of the corals and rock and am stirring up the gravel on that half of the tank. I don't like to do this with the bluestripped pipefish in there because I always lose them when I do this. Maybe they can't breathe with all the detritus floating around. The tank looks like Half and Half right now but I am trying to do a little at a time just for those pipefish. It is a lot easier and much quicker if I could just stir everything at once.
I run a Reverse UG filter so I can and have to clean and re juvinate the system every few years. This is not a major cleaning, those I do every 25 years weather it needs it or not.
I do this piece meal and it is almost as good. When it is all back together it will be clean and the corals and fish will be "happy" Now, not so much.
This maintenance is needed to insure complete water circulation through the gravel and I also powerwash the pores in the rocks. My homemade rocks are hollow and they fill with sediment
VietNamMemorial001.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well I had a bit of a disaster while I was maintaining. This large giant mushrom was attached to the two largest rocks in the tank which I did not know. One rock fell and tore a nice chunk out of the bottom of the coral. He is not happy and I hope it heals.
It took years for me to get it to that size.
Algae029.jpg

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
38 years is not 38 years when you take a tank down and start again. I had a tank running untouched for 12 years straight. No new corals or fish or even new aquascaping, everything was stocked the forst year. That is what I call running for a true amount of years.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Jaa the tank was not started again all the stuff was transfered but if you like. then call it 31 years old. It hasen't been touched in 31 years.
It makes no difference to me I didn't think of it as a contest but a few people have told me the same thing.
If aquascaping doesn't count then it is not old at all. I like to change things around when ever I get bored and I add things and give away things all the time so I would call it a Noob tank :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: