Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Over the last 2-3 weeks, my tank hit a major rut. A very strange thing happened, which I have yet been able to explain.... Nearly all of my zoas have completely melted off the rocks. I also lost a colony of Button Polyps and 2 Birdnest Corals. Luckily (and also mysteriously), my more sensitive corals and invertebrates were completely untouched (flourishing, if you will). I don't know what could have caused it, but I am looking at this in a positive light. I am looking forward to doing something I was unable to do previously; keep an updated log on all the current happenings with my tank. So without further adieu, here it it.... Fielder0024's first 24 Gallon NanoCube Log...

First off, I'll start off with some pics from my tank in it's former glory: This is the last thread I created before the stuff hit the fan:

Enjoy!

Tank was established April 28, 2010. I have learned so much from my expensive mistakes since starting and hope I have finally reached the point where all my money can go towards successful investments :lol2:

Lighting- Nova Extreme Pro- 6x18 watt. 2 Daylights, 3 Blue (460 nm) Actinics, and one Purple (420 nm) Purple.
Filtration- Maxijet 1200 Return Pump, Hydor Rotating Wavemaker Return Pump.
2x 1/2 units of Chemi-Pure Elite
Phosban
Purigen
Filter Floss (Changed every 2-3 days)
Flow- MP10

Daily- One day Brine shrimp for fish and next day Target-feeding cyclopeeze for corals, clams and fish. And so on and so forth.
Weekly- 10% water change

Tank currently houses:
Fish
Combtooth Blenny
Tank Raised True Pecula
Yellow-Faced Jawfish
Flameback Pygmy Angel
Midas Blenny (My latest and one of my favorite additions)

Corals
Duncan Coral
Several Zoa Colonies
Brown Button Polyp Colony
Birdsnest
Chalice
Elegance Coral
Green Birdsnest

Inverts
Several Blue Legged Hermits
About 40 Baby Nassarius Snails
Crocea Clam
Many, many, many bristle worms (1 measuring at least 1 foot)

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Last edited:

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I will be updating with pics of the tank in it's current condition tomorrow, but today I went to Manhattan Aquarium and picked up another colony of Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas, and a Purple and Green Chalice. Going to take things nice and slow.....

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I need to check it. My hydrometer recently broke and Ive been measuring using previous experience for measurement. I have to go out this week and pic one up.

This sounds silly but check your salinity. I had a similar problem (amongst others), and found that my salinity was 1.020. Brought it up to 1.025 and things are already looking much better

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok everyone, as promised here are the updated pics as of today. I will be doing my best to post up pics every week or so just so you can track the tank's progress... If nothing huge happens over the course of a week I will probably not post and save you all the bore... Enjoy!

IMG_0877.jpg

My entire Zoo Colony.... Gone
IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

Fielder0024

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok everyone. I looked into your theories on the salinity being a possible issue and that may have been it. I ordered a refractometer the other day online, but in the meantime I am borrowing one of my friend's hydrometer. I tested the water yesterday and the hydrometer read an astonishing >1.031. Needless to say, I immediately drained out 5 gallons of tank water and replaced it with regular RO/DI water. The salinity level is currently 1.028. Over the next few days I will be gradually adding more fresh water until the tank reaches approximately 1.026.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions... You may have just saved my tank.

In addition to that update, I recently purchased a 1 gallon HOB refugium from amazon. I figure adding the extra filtration will do wonders for the tank. However, there was no lighting included with the tank so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what type of light I should run. Im thinking of going in the direction of one of those clip on light fixtures but Im not sure if that will be sufficient. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again,
Leo

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: