Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

depends on a few factors realy, the first being if you want a gap behind the tank or if you want it butted right up against the wall. If you drill through the back you'll need anywhere between 4-6" to allow for bends etc.

If you go through the bottom, you can push the tank right back and use straiter runs to and from the sump or to any closed loop systems you want to encorporate. People commonly worry about bottom drilled but in my experience over many tank builds both large and small ive never encounterd any problems as long as the plumbing is done properly and the base is well supported.

The only other downside with drilling through the back is if you are running down to a sump...it can get a bit noisy running all the way down from a surface weir with a horizontal outflow and downpipe arrangement, compared to a standard corner weir with bottom drilled durso.

regards

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Just curious - what size is the tank? UPDATE - OP gave me the info - it is a 75g tank.

btw - some tanks cannot be drilled on the bottom as some have tempered glass bottoms :(

Last edited:

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a wierd one Cath...Ive heard this a few times mentioned on Us boards...is it common in the US as we never use tempered on our tanks..or none that ive ever encounterd..?

regards

and PS....Miss you guys loads..:inlove:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
That is a wierd one Cath...Ive heard this a few times mentioned on Us boards...is it common in the US as we never use tempered on our tanks..or none that ive ever encounterd..?

regards

and PS....Miss you guys loads..:inlove:

Extremely common here Simon..take a look see at this..
http://www.aqueonproducts.com/assets/011/19784.pdf
read the note under the diagram of the tank.
Aqueon is what used to be AGA - where most of the tanks here come from that aren't custom made. Hence all the drilling on the rear wall of the tank.
They DO sell tanks pre-drilled on the bottom - but they cost a good deal more (they also have the built in overflow already installed)

Miss you too :hug:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I've drilled my tank on the back side since I wanted a small overflow box like glass-holes makes....It takes up a very small amount of footprint in your tank.and very quiet.

Downside is pipes sticking out the back so it's a trade off...

You also need to silicone the box in place if you drill through the bottom...the glass-holes box is an easier install as the box attaches to the tank horizontally with bulkheads.

It's up to you....

As Simon stated both overflow styles should have the same chance of success provided the tank stands on a level surface and the bulkheads and rest of plumbing are properly installed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: