swervo513

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have been in the process of setting up a 180 gal tank. Over the past month i hit a snag and the process was delayed. The problem was with the hang on over flow box and the uneven water level of the tank. Well I finally shimmed up the tank and drilled the top left corner of the tank. Problem solved.

Now there is a new problem. My tank is making a butt load of noise. I tried all different types of elbows on the over flow but nothing will reduce t he noise. The noise is a sucking sound coming from the hole I drilled in the elbow to allow air the pass through and stabilize the water level of the tank. It is almost unbearable when I am watching TV. I need to come up with a simple solution to reduce the noise. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Larry <!-- / message -->

Attachments

• 46dfee37.jpg
    46dfee37.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 0358dedd.jpg
    0358dedd.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 24ca0b71.jpg
    24ca0b71.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 8cd13907.jpg
    8cd13907.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 5d4ec1cc.jpg
    5d4ec1cc.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 135

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Inside the tank should be the 90 degree elbow you had before, but don't drill the hole

The "T" you have now inside the tank should be on the outside of the tank. Water will flow down to the sump, while on the upper side of that "T" should have an end cap. You should drill a small hole in this end cap and your sound will be greatly reduced.

It looks like your return plumbing is in the way to do this though.

Also, you should have drilled the hole in your return plumbing a little lower so its not shooting like a fire hydrant.

one more thing, it looks like a fish can swim into your overflow

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
here

u can kinda get the idea from this pic, except i have an external overflow, basically see the elbow thats aimed down ? which would be the piece in ur tank also it should be aimed at a angle upwards, but on the back side of the tank where fitting comes through you would want a t fitting 1 side aimed up and the other down on the top side a small piece of pipe goes in and then a cap on top with a hole drilled into the top and a small air line slide down into it
attachment.php

swervo513

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks guys I think I understand what to do. I have to add airflow to the out side elbow on th tank. Would it be ok if I just drilled a hole in the elbow without replacing it with a T?

swervo513

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I drilled some holes right next to the water line on the return and plan to silicon seal the top holes.. in addition I drilled a small air hole on the back/outside elbow of the overflow. the noise was greatly reduced but then water was being pumped back into the tank to fast. Then I simply adjusted the return by messing with the valve and lowering the flow. Now it is operating at a lower flow rate but noise free!! I am so happy about that. Thanks for your help!

Larry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: