Gopherfish

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi-

I'm looking for a new tank mate for my FOWLR tank- as I'll be giving my Niger Trigger to a friend's tank soon.

Tank specs:
90gal FOWLR (20lbs)
Crushed coral substrate
Fluval 403 canister
CPR BakPak2 skimmer
50/50 daylight and actinic blue lighting

Inhabitants:
Foxface
Porcupine puffer (6")
Longnose hawkfish
Blue damsel
Blue fin damsel
Yellow tang
Niger Trigger (soon to be adopted out)

All levels are normal (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH)

What can I add once the trigger is out?

I'd like to introduce some snails or a starfish- will any of these other fish gobble them up? That's part of the reason I'm removing the trigger.

Thanks-

Gopherfish

Marty M

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why are you giving up your Niger? Is he getting to big, or aggressive with the smaller fish? I have one too, and he's well behaved.

Gopherfish

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Marty M-

I love my trigger, but he's keeping me from getting any kind of invertibrate, snail or starfish. I've read that he'll just pop them over and eat them from the inside out. My question is: will any of my other fish be a problem in this sense?

One thing the trigger loves to do is spray the substrate around to get under the coral skeletons. He also picks up shells one by one and moves them around. (He also nips at anything that is put in the tank- be it a new small fish or a cleaning brush)

-Goph

blue jaw

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posted by Gopherfish: "I love my trigger, but he's keeping me from getting any kind of invertibrate, snail or starfish. I've read that he'll just pop them over and eat them from the inside out. My question is: will any of my other fish be a problem in this sense?"

Yes- puffers and hawkfish are also invert eaters. Their diet also includes invertebrates such as shrimp, snails, small crabs and the like. They will also potentially go after starfish, some corals, and small fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: