fishman7789

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I noticed today that my water level seemed a bit uneven and upon measuring the tank with my level that the tank is no longer level. I am 100% sure it was pretty much perfectly level when I set up the tank a little over 3 months ago. It isn't off by much as the bubble is still within the lines on the level. But the water is a little less than 1/4 inch higher in the front of the tank than the back. I'd say probably 3/16. The water level also seems a bit higher on the right side of the tank than the left but again it is within the bubbles on the level.I realize the floor must have settled slightly due to the weight of the tank. I'm just wondering if this poses a serious risk to the integrity of the tank? And if so is there anything I can do other than emptying the entire tank and re leveling it? It's the only thing I can focus on whenever I look at the tank. It's really driving me nuts.
The tank is located on a hardwood floor caddy cornered against a wall.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Is your tank on an interior wall? Exterior wall? What is the sub-floor constructed of? Do the floor beams run parallel or perpendicular to the tank? When you walk in front of the tank and bounce or jump, does the water or tank sway?

The bubble between the lines on a bubble level do not indicate level. The bubble needs to be perfectly centered between the lines in order to reflect level.

Russ

fishman7789

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's an interior load bearing wall. The beams are perpindicular to the tank they run across the house from left to right and the tank is caddy cornered perpindicular to the beams. I believe the tank is resting on at least 2 possibly 3 beams due to the way it is angled.. Unsure of the subfloor material but the tank is on the main level of the house with a an approximately 24" high crawl space underneath

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
That about half a ton. on three beams, one beam every 16'' that doesn't sound like a problem but i would check the beams for weakness and bowing.

fishman7789

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yea I'm going to go and crawl under the house tomorrow just to be sure. I just checked the tank again with all the pumps off and the tank seems to be much closer to level than I originally thought. I think all the flow was playing tricks on my eyes. It is still slightly off though

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Sounds like it's better than originally thought, that's a good thing :)

I would still reinforce the floor joists since you've got access to them. The easiest (but least effective) way to do it would be to add some solid blocking between the joists underneath the tank. If you wanted to do it with more gusto, you can add a post to the bottom of the joist to the concrete slab, once again, directly underneath the tank.

Best of luck

Russ

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Go to the hardware store and get some "snap shims". They are little perforated wedges that can be slid under the stand and snapped off so they don't show through. Or, you can use cedar shingles and cut them at the edge so they don't show. Its great for leveling small increments. That's assuming it needs to be leveled.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Go to the hardware store and get some "snap shims". They are little perforated wedges that can be slid under the stand and snapped off so they don't show through. Or, you can use cedar shingles and cut them at the edge so they don't show. Its great for leveling small increments. That's assuming it needs to be leveled.
Problem with that is that the tank is filled. Like with my tank I can't see anyone being able to stick shims under a filled tank. Tank would need to be emptied which is what the OP would prefer not to do.

Fishman, my 155 spent 5 years off balance by 3/4". It was leveled perfectly when the new stand was placed, but apparently as the tank was placed on top of it the level was thrown off by 1/8", and that is how it will stay. At least now both of the overflows are working properly. I had placed one of those "jacks" under the floor joist under the corner that was lowest. I am keeping my eye on it though.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Problem with that is that the tank is filled. Like with my tank I can't see anyone being able to stick shims under a filled tank. Tank would need to be emptied which is what the OP would prefer not to do..
Assuming its not a structural problem in the floor, cedar shims are paper thin at one end. They're not hard to start. Just tap them in with a hammer, lightly and use a razor knife to cut off any excess. It works, I did it with MY 72bf.

fishman7789

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Alright thanks for all the help everyone. when I get a chance I'm going to get under the house and check the beams. If everything seems ok I think I will just leave everything be for the time being and keep an eye on it. It was quite a relief when I turned the pumps off last night and realized the water levels weren't nearly as off as I had originally thought.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Assuming its not a structural problem in the floor, cedar shims are paper thin at one end. They're not hard to start. Just tap them in with a hammer, lightly and use a razor knife to cut off any excess. It works, I did it with MY 72bf.

Couldn't be done with my 155. There was no space what so ever between the stand & the floor.:( Not even paper could slip up under it.

I used the mini jack that I got a lumber store cause HD didn't have it in stock when I needed it.

Attachments

• mini jack.jpg
    mini jack.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Couldn't be done with my 155. There was no space what so ever between the stand & the floor.:( Not even paper could slip up under it.

Yeah and I wouldn't try lifting or jacking the tank or stand as they're not built to support different weight distributions or angles...

I think you have a good plan, check the beams under the floor and add support if they are bowing, otherwise leave it alone as it's not that far off level.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Yeah and I wouldn't try lifting or jacking the tank or stand as they're not built to support different weight distributions or angles...

I think you have a good plan, check the beams under the floor and add support if they are bowing, otherwise leave it alone as it's not that far off level.
Thanks Jamesonwhiskey,
I placed the jack under it (in the basement under the floor joist directly under the right side of the tank [the tank is on the 1st.fl above) when it was way off (something like 3/4" off). But since we got a new stand, and it was perfectly level before the boys put the tank on top of the new stand they apparently threw it off slightly. The jack is still in place, and have no plans of removing it.;) If anything I'd like to add another on account that my house is very old (100).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: