aljndrno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of mine died from ich (I hope both your percs make it). The other one survived, just like the chromis and blenny. I have not added any fish to my reef tank for a few weeks now, and won't for a few more just in case. The life cycle of ich is about 45 to 60 days, I hope the remaining fish is immune by now.

The only question that I have is...if I add more fish in let's say 90 days, will the ich come back and doom the new fish? I do regular water changes, the tank looks good, but will the ich stay to haunt me in the future?

Many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not doomed.

Just make sure that the water quality is good, that they are well fed and have a good place to live.

Ich is usually a opportunistic disease that show itself when fish are stressed. Reduce the stress and the fish should be OK.

How covered in ich are your fish?

EB847

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty much head to toe, but it seems light so far. fresh water dips effective at all? ...did it once, didn't help

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a search on this site you will find a plethura of info. In my experience, stressed fish are more succeptable to the parasite so whatever you can do to reduce that stress will be helpful. I try to ensure that the fish eat as much as possible, and I try to limit my lighting period to as little as absolutely neccessary. I had ich when I first set up my tank. I too did not QT and learned a valuable lesson from it. I use a medicated food and fed as much as the fish wanted to eat of it and that was all I fed for 7-8 days. It is called tetra anti-parasite medicated sticks. I soaked it in tank water until it was mushy and then squished it into bite sized bits for the fish and after several days of refusal they get hungry and eat it. It went away and has not returned since. There is not a doubt in my mind that it is stress related though, so anything you can do to relieve any stress is beneficial. Hope that helps.

shr00m

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of time once they settle in it goes away but, it would have been more ideal to QT them and use hyposaline treatment.... very safe way to treat for ich.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: