• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
if you know what your doing and its pretty easy. i would just build one. total cost would be about 80-100$ if you price it out correctly and know and cut correctly with everything.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If I build one can I use 2-4 or do I need 2-6 I don't want a cross brace? I had one built for my 90 and is very strong but it's made from 2-4 It doesn't have a cross brace I can just modify it with new longer 2-4 it's the same tank just longer.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
If I build one can I use 2-4 or do I need 2-6 I don't want a cross brace? I had one built for my 90 and is very strong but it's made from 2-4 It doesn't have a cross brace I can just modify it with new longer 2-4 it's the same tank just longer.

if you mean no center brace, then i would use 2x6 for the top the rest 2x4.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
6' is a long span with out a center brace. you might want to double up. like thirty said we all build over kill, cause we aren't engineers. better safe than sorry.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Do not go 2X6. All you'll do is take away available clearance. It's TOTAL UTTER overkill for a 125.

If you're that worried then sister 2X4's. Again. Look at the stands that the companies build these tank provide. 1" thick panels at best. They have bracing because there's 0 framing, just paneling.

Just my opinion.

NYCTURBO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I agree jimmy and I will double up just for reassurance this stand looks like it can hold up a tank I will post pics soon thanks everyone for the input.

reef_Rookie

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buil my own stand and it isn't hard at all if you have the proper tools chop saw, a good drill and a palm sander. Pre drilling makes everything easy and the correct screws lol .
I don't have a good pic of the cross braces fromUnderneath but I can deff take a pic and post when I get home. But that's a 46 gal bow front with 20 gal sump tank underneath I'm ready to plumb and build the sump itself just waiting on protien skimmer to be able to have the correct measurement. But back to the subject that stand can hold about 300 lbs on top. With your tank you would need more center braces nd I would use 4x4 as vertical support.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I just buil my own stand and it isn't hard at all if you have the proper tools chop saw, a good drill and a palm sander. Pre drilling makes everything easy and the correct screws lol .
I don't have a good pic of the cross braces fromUnderneath but I can deff take a pic and post when I get home. But that's a 46 gal bow front with 20 gal sump tank underneath I'm ready to plumb and build the sump itself just waiting on protien skimmer to be able to have the correct measurement. But back to the subject that stand can hold about 300 lbs on top. With your tank you would need more center braces nd I would use 4x4 as vertical support.

4X4 is ABSOLUTELY crazy overkill for vertical support of a 125

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: