• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Lawdawg":48a9562s said:
We'll see Tom. Of course, thinking on it this morning that new tank would be a substantial investment in both time and money...I've got to think about it :|

We know you want toooo! :lol:

Those mats are at Home Depot & Lowes as well(probably cheaper).

A

Anonymous

Lawdawg":37og7xoj said:
Anemone of the State":37og7xoj said:
Lawdawg":37og7xoj said:
Thanks SubCom. I am seriously thinking of changing my setup to either a JBJ type cube or some other alternative that doesn't have a sump or chance of overflowing. With my schedule, I leave the tank for at least 30hrs at a time. So it might be to my advantage to do something that's a little more failsafe. Although if I decide bigger is better....there are tons of used 60 cubes around.

Hmmmmmm....

My luck with sumpless tanks overall has been much better. It is not as crazy as it sounds.

Can you discuss that further? Having a flood while I'm on the rig for 36hrs is a constant worry with me. Equipment-wise I'd have to get a HOB skimmer for sure but it's not like I need a calc reactor or other high end SPS type gear.

The nicest reef I had was a 55 gallon that had no sump. Right now the nicest tank I have is a 28 gallon with no sump. I've only had one tank with a sump, and although it is 100 gal, it never did as well. It is the one I just moved, and I suspect there were other problems like inadequate skimmers.

But the main point is that it is perfectly possible to have a nice reef tank without a sump, if you are willing to hang skimmers and stuff off the back.

I don't really have any deeper insight.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input, I'm just gathering data. I know what I want to do in terms of upgrading the tank but that has no bearing on reality, both time and money wise :lol:

A

Anonymous

After years and years of dumping money (inverts, rock, fish, equipment, power bill) into bigger reef tanks, I became absolutely sold on nano's.
Smaller investment, smaller ongoing costs, less time, smaller risk.

My big tanks have had absolutely nothing on my nanos with regard to enjoyment factor and visual impact.

A

Anonymous

JimM":26xfhwgn said:
After years and years of dumping money (inverts, rock, fish, equipment, power bill) into bigger reef tanks, I became absolutely sold on nano's.
Smaller investment, smaller ongoing costs, less time, smaller risk.

My big tanks have had absolutely nothing on my nanos with regard to enjoyment factor and visual impact.

I've never owned a nano, but I can't see it offering me as much enjoyment as a medium sized tank (60-100g). I would hate to have a seriously large tank though. Too much work, too much stress.

A

Anonymous

The Escaped Ape":15oqkoyo said:
JimM":15oqkoyo said:
I've never owned a nano, but I can't see it offering me as much enjoyment as a medium sized tank (60-100g)

I used to think the same thing.
Depends on your mind set, for me they're every bit as rewarding. The financial impact, the worry and risk when going on vacation, etc are all part of the experience with larger tanks. The reduced severity of those things with a nano is also part of the experience. These things contribute hugely to the to the enjoyment factor both ways respectively.

I just arrived at a place where I was done with big reef tanks.

A

Anonymous

I guess one other consideration for me is that where I set up next (in Japan) small frags are a rarity. With the size corals they sell, you'd be full very quickly. Getting a real mix of corals in there is a major part of the attraction for me.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you are on the right track. Forget about the soft mat or plastic. As long as you did not put dirt/sand under the plywood, there is no need for the cushioning.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about being away from the tank, my son's 29 is generally fool proof, flood proof, easy to maintain. He has the JBJ HQI 29 gal, it came with a free stand from marine depot. Then again IIRC for the tank and stand, it was 600 and then a chiller was a must with this tank since the 150 watt HQI really heats up the water in that closed hood. Good thing is I can keep and type of coral I want in their and don't need to worry about jumpers since it has a closed hood. Lets me add fish I normally can't since my other tanks are all open top. My new tank is coming at the worst time for me too, the economy is finally really killing my business. Not really the time to set up a new tank, even though I already have everything I need I am just going to be strapped for time.

If you just want something to keep you going you might consider a little nano too. I have the 9 gal Aquamedic tank on my computer desk with acans and chalices and it makes a cute setup. I am breaking it down to add it all to my new tank soon though. I had it set up for a few years now and it was always easy to keep and let me have a nitch tank with a few small fish.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I restarted my sump for the first time since the move, and it sure cranks up my stress level. On the other hand, the remaining corals (those I didn't axe-murder or give away) look way better than 24 hours ago. I think if you don't have a sump, it is a good idea to somehow have as good circulation and oxygenation as you would get with a sump.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Seven, but how does it help with any spills? It looks like water would drain through and puddle up under it :?:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: