cathym1078

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The temperature in my tank is currently 86 F. My heater was set up 79 F, but now I lowered it to 78 F. I've read that the optimal temp should be between 75 - 80 F. What will happen if I keep the temperature at 86 F?

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
It sounds like your heater's thermostat is broken. You should probably replace it.

Is anything other than the heater adding huge amounts of heat into the tank?

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
what brand is the heater? u should test the heater by putting it in a pail with cool water(60s) then check how high it goes. most heaters malfunction n overheats. for small tanks, it can easily kill everything.
try using a fan to blow off the surface to lower the temp.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Cathy where is the tank located?? I notice that you are on SI. The majority of the houses here have central air conditioning systems with forced heat. Are there any vents near the tank because ambient air can also cause the tank temp to rise.It is a possibility but if it is a faulty heater buy a more reliable one and get yourself a reefkeeper controller.

Last edited:

cathym1078

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thank you all for your responses. Most of you mentioned faulty heater. You were right!

I took the heater out from the back of the tank and I let the temperature of the tank to drop to within normal. I placed the heater back in the tank and set it at 79 degrees. The temperature of the tank at this time was around 82 - 83. The heater suppose to shut off since it is set at 79 and the tank's temperature is already at 82. Instead, the heater light turns on. I left it for about 2 - 3 minutes, to see if it takes time to respond. Instead, it continues to stay on, and I noticed that the thermometer reading is now increasing slowly. So I decided to remove the heater and place another heater I had lying around. I first tested the new heater. I set it at around 78 degrees. I waited for the temperature of the tank to drop back down to around 82. I plugged the heater in. It turned on for about 30 seconds then turned back off. The temperature of the tank started to drop. About 30 minutes later, the temperature dropped to around 76 - 78, and now it remains at this constant temperature.

So your guesses were right, it was a faulty heater. Thank you all for helping me with my problem. I can always rely on this forum to get an answer.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Did that heater come with the red sea max 250 or was that a separate heater that you installed? On a side note cuz I have been thinking of getting a 250, are all the components easily wired to the main plug outlet to allow for plug and play if a heater or pump goes bad and needs to be replaced? Or is everything hardwired?

gimincorp

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Biocube DX - Same problem!

The temperature in my tank is currently 86 F. My heater was set up 79 F, but now I lowered it to 78 F. I've read that the optimal temp should be between 75 - 80 F. What will happen if I keep the temperature at 86 F?
Hello,
I love my Biocube DX, but the problem with the "closed" system (as the tank has completely closed cover with no gaps, just some air vent slots in the front flop) is that the temperature goes up high. The highest reading was 81.6. Now (thanks to replys to this forum) I know what contributes to my agae bloom. But on the topic: the heat comes from two lightbulbs in the hood. Anyway I can reduce their heat impact except for leaving the whole flap open? - I currently have nothing that can crawl/jump out so it's not a problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: